1 - 200 of 1396 posts:

<< < > >> Summaries on
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for October 2020 Tue, 24-Nov-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. This mainly consisted in tracking down a off-by-one error in Cwd.xs, which I thought was being flagged up by valgrind. As it turned out, the valgrind report was a false positive caused by a bug in valgrind when perl is built with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE,

    ... read more
  • TPF Meeting Minutes for October 2020 Thu, 19-Nov-2020 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: Meetings

    TPF Board members and the community leaders meet every month and here are the minutes from the October 2020 meeting. Part 1 Community Attendees Board: Stuart Mackintosh, Peter Krawczyk, Dan Wright, Dave Rolsky, Ricardo Signes, Makoto Nozaki Leaders: Jason Crome, Samantha McVey, Alex Beamish, Sawyer X, Todd Rinaldo, Matthias Bloch Admin: Nic Evans Confirmed absence: Mark Keating, Curtis Poe Grants One grant approved needs funding

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals: November 2020 Fri, 13-Nov-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    We received no grant proposals for Perl or Raku in time for the November voting round. The next round of voting will be held starting in early January. But... there's no need to wait until then. We accept grant proposals all year round. To apply, please read How to Write a Proposal, GC Charter, Rules of Operation and Running Grants List will also help you understand how the grant process

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (November 2020 Round) Fri, 06-Nov-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 November 13 2020, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through November 19th, and we

    ... read more
  • Final Grant Report: Establishing Documentation Standards for the Perl 7 Era, October 2020 Fri, 06-Nov-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Jason McIntosh has shared his progress on Perl 7 documentation standards for the month of October, and has delivered his final report on the grant: *"October saw me very busy with the documentation standards project. After continuing the research I began in September, I spent much of the month writing a draft style guide to which I’ve given the filename “perldocstyle.pod”. Per my project proposal, I did seek comment on

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): October 2020 Grant Report Thu, 05-Nov-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 34 tickets were reviewed, and 2 patches were applied.

    ... read more
  • We want you to say that “Perl is Dead” even though it is “Very Much Alive” Sun, 01-Nov-2020 by mdk

    In the last few years, as there has been a decline in the uptake of Perl for new projects, and as we have seen the neutral evolution of a language and turn over of developers there has been a long line of people wanting to declare the demise of Perl. They have of course either misunderstood or exaggerated the situation.

    ... read more
  • Conference in the Cloud 2020 SoC Transparency Report Sun, 18-Oct-2020 by Dave Rolsky

    The Perl Foundation Standards of Conduct sets Standards of Conduct for how our community interacts with others during the conference and in other TPF spaces. The team that enforces these standards is called the Community Affairs Team That team was available to respond to incident reports during the Conference in Cloud in June, 2020 In order to be open and transparent about this process, we have prepared the following report

    ... read more
  • Grants: September 2020 Votes Sun, 18-Oct-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded voting on the September 2020 round. Two grant requests were submitted: General Perl OpenAPI Validator Interpreter VOTING RESULTS: Not Approved. 1 YES vote 5 NO votes, 3 abstentions Some comments and concerns brought up by the Grants Committee members include: Would like to see more tangible deadlines A better analysis of why this is needed Timeframe seems overly optimistic Ć-to-Raku translator **VOTING RESULTS: Not Approved.

    ... read more
  • Grant Cancellation: Improve Perl 6 Networking Support Fri, 16-Oct-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    During the work for this grant, the author stumbled upon some issues that block further progress on the existing grant as it is currently written. At Ben’s request, the grant as it exists now is being cancelled, to be replaced with a new proposal to address the issues he encountered, as well as revised proposals to cover the remaining ideas from the original grant. The new grants will follow the

    ... read more
  • September report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Thu, 15-Oct-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Before leaving on his much deserved break, Jonathan was able to carry forward his performance work ahead in September. (Aside from his work on the RakuAST grant).

    ... read more
  • Grant Report: Establishing Documentation Standards for the Perl 7 Era, September 2020 Thu, 08-Oct-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Nicolas R. has shared Jason McIntosh's updates for September for the Establishing Documentation Standards for the Perl 7 Era grant: Major steps towards my goal accomplished in September: Announced my starting this project on #p5p on Freenode, and collecting some basic information there Gathering Perl’s documentation style policy information Touring other FOSS languages and technologies with their own documentation sub-projects, and comparing them to what Perl has. Projects studied so

    ... read more
  • (Updated) Grant Proposal: General Perl OpenAPI Validator / Interpreter Thu, 08-Oct-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Synopsis Develop a clean and easy interface for managing OpenAPI 3.x schemas. Proposal OpenAPI is a format that makes use of the JSON-Schema specification to communicate what a web API can do in a machine-readable way. The current module that is most active for JSON-Schema support in Perl is JSON::Validator. The feeling in the community is that the JSON::Validator interface is difficult to work with. This is possibly because it

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): September 2020 Grant Report Thu, 08-Oct-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 14 tickets were reviewed, and 1 patches were applied 2.00 #17601 rebase and re-test old branch #17601 check smoke results and merge workaround 0.60 #17831 research hints bit usage and comment 54.17 #18005 resolve symbol issues, testing #18005 research for a readlink implementation #18005 work on readlink implementation #18005 more readlink, debugging, get it working #18005 testing #18005 lstat/stat

    ... read more
  • RakuAST Grant Report from Jonathan Worthington, 2020-09 Tue, 06-Oct-2020 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Jonathan Worthington has shared his latest progress report from the RakuAST grant, covering the work done in 2020-09. In addition, he announced that he is taking a break from Raku and Rakudo development. His work his highly appreciated, the resting period well-desevered, and we expect his work to continue in a month or a few months. Here's his progress report, in his own words: In last month's report, I mentioned

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #14 Fri, 02-Oct-2020 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo has built an AppImage for MoarPref. The image combines all of the dependencies including Rakudo in a single package, which makes it very easy to try out MoarPref without having to worry about installing its dependencies. Read more at:

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Ć-to-Raku translator Thu, 01-Oct-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Author Piotr Fusik Motivation Ć is a programming language with the motto "There Is More Than One Language To Do It". As a seasoned programmer writing a reusable component you'd like to make it easily available from several programming languages with little effort or boring work. Ć enables just that. Write in Ć, then translate your code automatically to C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, Python, Swift, OpenCL C and Raku.

    ... read more
  • UV grant progress report 2020-09 Sun, 27-Sep-2020 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Paul Evans writes about this progress: Added the UV::TCP and UV::UDP types which now makes the library wrapping capable of most networking tasks. There's still a few more bits and pieces to add, but I think we're over the bulk of the hill now.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: General Perl OpenAPI Validator / Interpreter Thu, 24-Sep-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Synopsis Create a standalone implementation of OpenAPI 3.0 to facilitate parsing, creating, and validating OpenAPI specifications. Overview It is common contemporary practice to provide a OpenAPI schema^ to communicate to clients the available functionality of a RESTful web API. It is well documented and flexible, and well known to application developers. There exists no Perl module to facilitate working with an OpenAPI 3.0 schema. Project-specific modules exist for Swagger 2.0,

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (September 2020 Round) Thu, 24-Sep-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 October 1st 2020, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through October 8th, and we

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for June to August 2020 Sun, 20-Sep-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. I picked up some enthusiasm in August and fixed assorted bugs and crossed various little items off my TODO list. Jun 1:56 process p5p mailbox 4:20 review tickets 0:44 work out why index is faster than /abc/ Jul

    ... read more
  • Final Board Findings Regarding 2019 SOC Incident Fri, 18-Sep-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    Final Board Findings Regarding 2019 SOC Incident

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): August 2020 Grant Report Mon, 07-Sep-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 40 tickets were reviewed, and 2 patches were applied

    62.23 hours total

    ... read more
  • Raku Development Fund Sun, 06-Sep-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce the launch of the Raku Development Fund. Perl 6 Development Fund was launched in 2015 to support the development of the Perl 6 programming language. Since then, we have awarded more than USD 100,000. With the rename of the language, we will close the Perl 6 Development Fund and launch the Raku Development Fund. For these who would like to apply for grants, please take

    ... read more
  • August report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Fri, 04-Sep-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: In August I did not perform any work on this grant. I exhausted the previously allocated funding during July, and further funding was allocated close to the end of August. The last part of August was already allocated to other work, however September has a good amount of time available for grant work.

    ... read more
  • Marketing Strategy for the Next Two Years Tue, 01-Sep-2020 by mdk

    At the August monthly director’s meeting for the Perl Foundation, the marketing team presented a strategy for the next two years. This strategy is a broad look at where the team believes we should focus as the Foundation, the Foundation and community brands/products, move forwards. The strategy can be read, in its current form, in the attached document: The Next Two Years.pdf. It is a living document, by which we

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): July 2020 Grant Report Mon, 24-Aug-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 37 tickets were reviewed.

    55.11 hours total

    ... read more
  • Grants: July 2020 Votes Sun, 23-Aug-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded voting on the July 2020 round. Two grants were submitted, one of them was approved. Establishing Documentation Standards for the Perl 7 Era VOTING RESULTS: Approved. 8 YES Votes, 1 NO vote, 1 abstention There was a lot of excitement and support for this grant. Raku Ecosystem VOTING RESULTS: Not Approved. 4 YES votes, 5 NO votes, 1 abstention Voting on this grant was close.

    ... read more
  • Grant Report for RakuAST 2020-08 by Jonathan Worthington Sat, 22-Aug-2020 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Here is what Jonathan has to write about his RakuAST grant progress: Around half of the time that passed since my last RakuAST grant report was spent on vacation, and an amount of it after that dealing with the fact that going on vacation doesn't mean the rest of the world stops finding things for you to do. Anyway, finally, in the last week, I got back into working on

    ... read more
  • Sponsorship Committee needs your help Tue, 18-Aug-2020 by Nic Evans

    The TPF Sponsorship Committee is looking for support in contacting potential sponsors. We are working on a plan to create various materials to support our requests for sponsorship and to update the website content regarding donations. However, currently there are only two formal members of the committee who are able to contact potential sponsors. If you think you can help the committee please get in touch. Email sponsorship@perlfoundation.org

    ... read more
  • July report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Tue, 18-Aug-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    As in May and June, in July I continued my work on the unified dispatcher mechanism. Unlike those rather productive months, July was vacation time, and thus I was away from my keyboard for much of it. I did, however, get some bits done.

    ... read more
  • Outreachy internship successful completion Sat, 15-Aug-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce that the Outreachy internship concluded successfully. As previously announced, The Perl Foundation accepted Areesha Tariq as an intern for this year’s internship to work on Open Food Facts. Stéphane Gigandet provided mentorship for her during the entire program. I would like to congratulate both for the successful program completion and express gratitude for their hard work. During the internship, Areesha completed the followings: Templatization of

    ... read more
  • TPF Survey: Marketing and Branding Thu, 13-Aug-2020 by mdk
    in: Marketing

    The Perl Foundation is developing branding and marketing strategies for itself and the software projects and communities it serves. Completing this short survey will give valuable feedback to the marketing committee.

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for July 2020 Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and here are the minutes from the July 2020 meeting. Attendees Stuart J Mackintosh Dan Wright Dave Rolsky Curtis "Ovid" Poe Pete Krawczyk Ricardo Signes Makoto Nozaki Nic Evans Samantha McVey TPRC CAT debrief Structure CAT report that the CAT worked very well for TPRC The process was well defined. The training was effective and it helped the role play created confidence Future opportunity:

    ... read more
  • Can you help TPF with community communication? Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by Nic Evans

    Following the Conference in the Cloud, TPF Board is keen to continue the momentum of two-way communication with the community. During CIC we saw some great conversations with, and across, the community. There was enthusiasm, lots of engagement and feedback, and positive suggestions about the future of Perl and Raku. Our network is complex and at the moment everyone talks to everyone, it is disorganised, and there’s potential for great

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Raku Ecosystem Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Raku Ecosystem Name: tony o'dell Amount Requested: $12,000 Synopsis Redesign the raku/zef ecosystem to be robust and to make easier the distribution submission for the raku ecosystem. Benefits to the Raku Community Currently the process for maintaining the ecosystem in raku is either uploading to cpan, which comes with its own set of limitations as cpan was not designed to handle the way raku uses distributions The other way this

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Establishing Documentation Standards for the Perl 7 Era Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Title Establishing documentation standards for the Perl 7 era Synopsis I propose to build on my revisions to the open and perlopentut manual pages, generalizing my experience with that project into a set of guidelines for creating and updating Perl's documentation for the modern era and then proving these standards against a sample selection of current documentation. The advent of Perl 7 presents us with an opportunity to re-examine and

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): June 2020 Grant Report Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 31 tickets were reviewed.

    59.99 hours total

    ... read more
  • Malicious Code Found in CPAN Package Module-AutoLoad Tue, 28-Jul-2020 by Dave Rolsky

    The Module-AutoLoad distribution has been found to contain malicious code in its test suite. Specifically, it attempts to load and execute Perl code from a remote server during the test suite. While initially this payload may not have been malicious, this is no longer the case. You can read the IRC discussion about this along with some summary details in an email from Ryan Voots to the modules@perl.org list. All

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (July 2020 Round) Fri, 24-Jul-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 July 31st 2020, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through August 7th, and we

    ... read more
  • July 2020 grant report from Jonathan Worthington on RakuAST Thu, 23-Jul-2020 by Moritz Lenz

    Jonathan has been working hard on his RakuAST grant, and made some great progress. He'll be pausing development for roughly two weeks for some well-earned vacation. Anyway, here is the progress report, in his own words: Raku is not really one language, but a braid of languages: the main language, the regex language, and the quoting language. My work as of my previous report had focused heavily on the main

    ... read more
  • July 2020 Grant Report for libuv by Paul Evans Mon, 20-Jul-2020 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Work on the grant Implement Perl Binding for libuv by Paul "LeoNerd" Evans has started late, mostly due to my own fault in being very slow at communicating. Nevertheless, Paul got some work done. In his own words: Things I have completed: Joined github org for UV module Tidied up the existing mess of .h files Generally surveyed the code Fixed the implementation of the existing handle types in the

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #13 Sun, 19-Jul-2020 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo has resumed work on the grant after the unexpected delay caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Read about the changes to the instrumented profiler that in turn resulted in a drastic increase of profiler speed at: How would you like a 1000x speed increase.

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for June 2020 Tue, 14-Jul-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and here are the minutes from the June 2020 meeting. Attendees Stuart Mackintosh Dan Wright Makoto Nozaki Dave Rolsky Curtis Poe Ricardo Signes Nic Evans CAT training discussion Discussed a recent training conducted for CAT members and other TPF volunteers Team positively received session Especially procedure and practice Useful to have regular session,

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for April 2020 Tue, 14-Jul-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and here are the minutes from the April 2020 meeting.

    ... read more
  • June report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Fri, 10-Jul-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    My grant time in June was spent on the new unified dispatch mechanism; my May report provides some background on what that is, and this report will make more sense having read the May report first. In May, I reached the point of having a significant part of the new dispatch mechanism implemented, and had exercised it with some unit tests. However, these were all rather artificial. During June, I started applying it to rather more realistic problems.

    ... read more
  • Record attendance for TPF conference Wed, 08-Jul-2020 by Nic Evans

    COVID-19 may have put a stop to The Perl Foundation’s physical conference, but it didn’t prevent almost 500 people coming together across the three-day Conference in the Cloud via Zoom. A total of 467 tickets of 500 were sold raising funds for The Perl Foundation. At its busiest single point in time, 263 people were live on Zoom with 157 watching on YouTube. Delegates from around the world, many of

    ... read more
  • Grants: May 2020 Votes Sat, 04-Jul-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the May 2020 round. There was one proposal this round, which was not approved. Quarren CMS Voting results: Not approved: 2 YES votes with a score of 5 3 NO votes We accept proposals throughout the year; our next round of review will begin the second week of July. You can submit proposals now. If you want to help with funding and

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Raku Performance and Reliability Engineering (Jonathan Worthington) Sun, 28-Jun-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan Worthington has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Raku Performance and Reliability Engineering grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 333 hours to this work.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): May 2020 Grant Report Sat, 27-Jun-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 41 tickets were reviewed.

    ... read more
  • Perl 7 announced at Perl Conference in the Cloud Wed, 24-Jun-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    The Perl programming language will take a strategic step forward with the planned release of Perl 7. This development, announced by Sawyer X at the Perl Conference in the Cloud, will enable usability enhancements as standard and disable antiquated behaviours. Perl 7 will make it easier to attract new developers and add quality-of-life improvements for existing developers while maintaining broad compatibility with existing codebases. This paves the way for future

    ... read more
  • Newsletter 6 - TPRCiC 2020 Mon, 22-Jun-2020 by Dawn Wallis
    • Check your time zone for the schedule
    • How to attend - Hint! Check your email for a password to attend the Zoom session
    • Thank you Sponsors
    • Submit a Lightning Talk
    • Get your tickets
    • Order your conference gear
    ... read more
  • June 2020 Grant Report for RakuAST by Jonathan Worthington Fri, 19-Jun-2020 by Moritz Lenz

    Jonathan writes the following as his first report for his RakuAST grant. Enjoy! It's been about a month since the approval of my RakuAST grant. This report covers the grant work performed since then. Under the RakuAST architecture, language elements are modeled by AST nodes, which can be thought of as document object model elements, where the document in question is a Raku program. Today, the overall organization of the

    ... read more
  • May report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Tue, 16-Jun-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    In my April report I mentioned that I had performed an amount of design work for a new generalized dispatch mechanism in MoarVM. In May, I forged ahead with the implementation work on this - although in reality, that work isn't just churning out code, but also making lots of smaller design decisions along the way too.

    ... read more
  • New TPF Grants Committee Member: Matthew Horsfall Mon, 15-Jun-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    On behalf of the TPF Grants Committee, I am pleased to announce that Matthew Horsfall has been elected to the committee. Matthew had been involved in the Perl community for almost ten years in a number of capacities, from helping to organize BOFs at YAPC in Asheville, to helping with the 2011 Google Summer of Code, to answering questions and helping to maintain the Perl IRC network. He's also participated

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for January to May 2020 Tue, 09-Jun-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. I've kind of collapsed on the perl front over least few months and haven't really done much. Hopefully things will improve. What little work I did do was mainly around fixing blocker and BBC tickets, and that was mostly in the

    ... read more
  • Will Coleda retiring Sat, 06-Jun-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee recently brought on Jason Crome as our new Secretary, and he's already organizing and getting things done! During the process to search for a new Secretary, we also found a motivated individual who wasn't already on the committee, and the team is interested in bringing them on as a new voting member. But, during our membership drive in the past year, we filled all the open slots

    ... read more
  • TPF Stands in Support of #BlackLivesMatter Sat, 06-Jun-2020 by Jason A. Crome

    The Perl Foundation's statement of support for Black Lives Matter.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Quarren CMS Fri, 05-Jun-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Title Grant Proposal: Quarren CMS Synopsis Quarren is a nerdy, pragmatic, plugin-based CMS, written in Perl and Dancer2. Quarren implements a plugin system for themes templates, shortcodes, content-uploaders and renderers, comment systems, administrative tools, and searching. This allows for a wide variety of use-cases and possible configurations, and ensures that the system need not load tools that are not desired for a given site, keeping it lean, efficient, and easy-to-use.

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (May 2020 Round) Tue, 26-May-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 June 4th, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through June 11th, and we will

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Tony Cook) Wed, 20-May-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): April 2020 Grant Report Wed, 20-May-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 20 tickets were reviewed, and 1 patches were applied

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): March 2020 Grant Report Wed, 20-May-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 51 tickets were reviewed, and 4 patches were applied

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): February 2020 Grant Report Wed, 20-May-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 32 tickets were reviewed, and 2 patches were applied

    ... read more
  • Newsletter 5 - TPRCiC 2020 Tue, 19-May-2020 by Todd Rinaldo

    The schedule is available. Submit a Lightning Talk. Volunteers needed. Do you want to host a virtual BoF? Introduction to Go virtual master class. Order your conference shirt.

    ... read more
  • New Grants Committee Secretary Tue, 19-May-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am very happy to announce that the Grants Committee has voted on the selection of a new Secretary, and Jason Crome will be taking over from me effective immediately. Jason joined the GC last summer, and has been not only an active member, but he definitely has an interest in doing more to help the Perl and Raku communities. While the TPF Board must approve the GC's vote, I

    ... read more
  • March 2020 Votes - Update Mon, 18-May-2020 by Coke

    Update on RakuAST The board has voted to approve the funding on this request and work will commence.

    ... read more
  • April report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Wed, 13-May-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    April was a time for thinking, reflecting, and designing. The starting gun for this was fired in a post I wrote at the end of March, in which I reflected on the mechanisms that we've grown over the years to make various constructs decently fast.

    ... read more
  • Outreachy Intern announced - Areesha working on Open Food Facts Tue, 12-May-2020 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: Outreachy

    I am pleased to announce we accepted an intern, Areesha Tariq, to this year’s Outreachy internship at Open Food Facts. Areesha will work with Stéphane Gigandet on a project to improve the code quality of the Perl backend of Open Food Facts until August 2020. Areesha is a Software Engineering student doing her bachelor’s from the National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan. She is mostly focused on web

    ... read more
  • Final Report - Revising Perl's open and perlopentut manual pages Thu, 07-May-2020 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Jason McIntosh has completed work on the grant for revising Perl's open and perlopentut manual pages

    ... read more
  • Grants: March 2020 Votes Mon, 04-May-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the March/April 2020 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved. As the Grants Committee is operating without a budget at this time, we have sent the request to be funded to the Board. As soon as we have a decision from the Board, we will post a new blog entry and update this one. RakuAST **Voting results: Approved: 8

    ... read more
  • Newsletter 4 - TPRCiC 2020 Tue, 28-Apr-2020 by Todd Rinaldo

    In this issue: Final Call Round 2 CFP Ends UTC May 02, 2020 00:01 Get your tickets registration is open About the Conference in the Cloud Volunteers needed How to Reach Us Last Call Call For Talks Our second and final round of talk submissions is ending on May 2 at 00:01 UTC. Check to see what that means in your timezone, for example, that’s May 1 at 8:01pm EDT.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals March/April 2020 Sat, 18-Apr-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the March/April 2020 round. RakuAST Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by April 24th, 2020. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced shortly thereafter.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: RakuAST Sat, 18-Apr-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Project title RakuAST Project synopsis I recently presented a proposal for RakuAST an abstract syntax tree for the Raku language that will become part of the language specification. I have also released my work on it so far, which is in a branch in the Rakudo repository. So far, I've worked on it during spare moments. The purpose of this grant is to accelerate progress by enabling me to spend

    ... read more
  • Newsletter - TPRCiC 2020 Fri, 17-Apr-2020 by Todd Rinaldo

    In this issue: Round 2 Call for Talks is open now! Due May 02, 2020 00:01 UTC About the Conference in the Cloud Cost, Timing, Platform Be part of it all Organizer spots open! Volunteers needed How to Reach Us Call for Talks DUE May 02, 2020 00:01 UTC Our second and final round of talk submissions ends May 2 at 00:01 UTC. Submit your new talk topics

    ... read more
  • March report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Thu, 16-Apr-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    In the first week of March I attended the German Perl and Raku workshop. While I didn't do any grant work there, I did meet with some of the Raku core contributors, and had various useful discussions. Unfortunately, I also got a throat infection, which made the following week or so rather less than productive. Here's what I did achieve in the rest of the month.

    ... read more
  • Remembering Jeff Goff Sat, 11-Apr-2020 by Dave Rolsky

    As many of you know, we recently lost one of our community members, Jeff Goff. Jeff died in a snorkeling accident on March 13, 2020. Jeff was a long time member of both the Perl 5 and Raku communities. On IRC, he was known as DrForr. He published many modules on CPAN over the years, and recently had created a number of Raku modules. As a long time presenter at

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals ( March 2020 Round) Thu, 09-Apr-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 April 17th, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through April 24th, and we

    ... read more
  • Perl Mongers Meeting Online Sat, 04-Apr-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    Some Perl Mongers groups started online meetings. It's unfortunate that they can't meet in person, however this means anybody can join their meetings globally. Charlotte Perl Mongers just had their online meeting on March 25th. Jason Crome, the organizer, told us that there was even an attendee from Rome. And they plan to do it indefinitely. NY Perl Mongers is going to hold their first online meeting on April 14th.

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for March 2020 Tue, 31-Mar-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and here is minutes for March 2020 meeting. Attendees TPCiH Team Todd Rinaldo Dawn Wallis Lena Hand TPF Admin Nic Evans Board Stuart Mackintosh Curtis Poe Dave Rolsky Dan Wright Ricardo Signes Pete Krawczyk Makoto Nozaki TPCiH Note This discussion was held a few days before the decision

    ... read more
  • Grant Cancellation: blogs.perl.org update Mon, 30-Mar-2020 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I'm sad to announce that the long running grant to revitalize blogs.perl.org is being closed out and will not be completed. André Walker's work in progress is available in this github repository: https://github.com/andrewalker/PearlBee André has put a lot of work into this grant thanks to him for the effort.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): January 2020 Grant Report Mon, 30-Mar-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 54 tickets were reviewed, and 8 patches were applied

    ... read more
  • Announcement: TPRCiC 2020 Sun, 29-Mar-2020 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue:

    • About the Conference in the Cloud
    • Be part of it all - Organizer spots open!
    • Call for Talks
    • Re-submit your Talk from TPCiH!
    • How to Reach TPRCiC Organizers
    ... read more
  • Grants: February 2019 Votes Sat, 28-Mar-2020 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the January/February 2019 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved funded.

    ... read more
  • Update on TPCiH 2020 and COVID-19 Tue, 24-Mar-2020 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: TPCiH 2020 is Canceled Save the Dates for 2021 Stay Tuned TPC::EU 2020 Contact us TPCiH 2020 is Canceled The organizers of the The Perl and Raku Conference in Houston and board members of The Perl Foundation have been closely monitoring the developments around COVID-19. We have agreed that, at this time, it is in the best interest of the community to postpone The Perl and Raku

    ... read more
  • TPCiH - Newsletter #4 Fri, 20-Mar-2020 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: We lost a friend Coronavirus and TPCiH Contact us Goodbye, DrForr The whole organizing team for The Perl and Raku Conference was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of our dear friend, Community Volunteer, frequent presenter, Perl developer, and RakuLang advocate. Jeff Goff aka DrForr is, and will continue to be, missed. Coronavirus and TPCiH Organizers of the TPCiH and board members of The Perl Foundation

    ... read more
  • February report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Tue, 10-Mar-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    After a hiatus for a wide range of reasons, I'm back to work on the performance and reliability grant. Most of my work during February was on fixing bugs - more than 15 of them, ranging from relatively straightforward to multi-hour optimizer bug hunts.

    ... read more
  • Introducing the TPF Community Affairs Team Sun, 08-Mar-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    I would like to share with you the development of our initiative which has the aim of maintaining healthy and welcoming Perl and Raku communities. The Perl Foundation is supporting the creation of a Community Affairs Team known as the CAT This initiative has developed through many conversations with members of the community via on-line chat and in person at various events over the last 9 months. It has two

    ... read more
  • Outreachy project published Sat, 29-Feb-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce our project in Outreachy. Currently we are looking for an intern. Project registration: Improve the code quality of the Perl backend of Open Food Facts Project Description Improve the code quality of the Perl backend of Open Food Facts Open Food Facts is a Wikipedia for food products: a collaborative database of food products, with a backend written in Perl. Over the last 8 years,

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for February 2020 Sat, 29-Feb-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and here is minutes for February 2020 meeting. Attendees Stuart J Mackintosh Pete Krawczyk Dave Rolsky Dan Wright Makoto Nozaki Items discussed FOSDEM 2020 debrief The TPF stand was successful. Thank you volunteers We intend to apply for a stand and devroom in 2021 TPF CAT progress TPC::NA 2020 prep TPC::NA 2021 planning Fundraising Raku trademark

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Revising Perl's open and perlopentut manual pages Tue, 25-Feb-2020 by Coke

    Title Revising Perl's open and perlopentut manual pages for clarity and completeness Synopsis The manual page for one of Perl's most central functions open has problems. While nobody doubts the page's technical accuracy, head Perl maintainer Sawyer X nonetheless holds it up as an example of documentation in sore need of reorganization and revision. Towards the end of his TPC 2019 talk "Perl 5: The Past, The Present, and One

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals January/February 2020 Tue, 25-Feb-2020 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the January/February 2020 round. Revising Perl's open and perlopentut manual pages Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by March 1st, 2020. The Committee members will start the voting process following that.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): December 2019 Grant Report Mon, 24-Feb-2020 by Matthias Bloch

    Approximately 33 tickets were reviewed, and 3 patches were applied

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (January 2020 Round) Sun, 16-Feb-2020 by Coke

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 February 22nd, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through the end of February,

    ... read more
  • Board update: TPF treasurer Sun, 16-Feb-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    Following nomination in September 2019 The Perl Foundation is pleased to welcome Pete Krawczyk as our new treasurer, being officially appointed 1st January 2020. Pete is a US-based software developer working for ZipRecruiter and has been programming in Perl for 23 years. Pete understands how valuable the community is to Perl. He says: “People, modules, features all come and go, but the community and the values we've developed sustain us

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for January 2020 Thu, 30-Jan-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and we intend to publish meeting minutes going forward. Here's the one for January 17th, 2020. Attendees** Stuart J Mackintosh Dave Rolsky Dan Wright Pete Krawczyk Ricardo Signes Makoto Nozaki Approved Funding of $2500 for DCBPW Pawel Murias’ Ian Hague grant completion Cancel Patrick Michaud’s Ian Hague grant after having contacted Patrick, who agrees that the grant should be cancelled Other items** FOSDEM participation

    ... read more
  • Taking Part in Outreachy Wed, 22-Jan-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce that The Perl Foundation will be taking part in the Outreachy May to August 2020 internships. The last time we participated was in 2016. At this stage we are looking for mentors and project ideas from the Perl and Raku community. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please read the Mentor description and add your ideas at our repo. We plan to close

    ... read more
  • Perl and Raku at FOSDEM 2020 Tue, 21-Jan-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    We're excited to announce the Perl and Raku stand at FOSDEM 2020 conference in Brussels on Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd February. This is a great opportunity to share Perl and Raku with one of the largest meeting of developers and technologists. It also brings us together as a community and helps us engage with thousands of others, sharing the values of Perl and Raku. We are one of just

    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #3 Fri, 17-Jan-2020 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: Conference registration is live! http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets Venue information http://bit.ly/tpcihhotel Call for presentations! https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Call for master-class/tutorial teachers open! admin@perlconference.us Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors! treasurer@perlfoundation.org Contact us admin@perlconference.us Registration is live! Get your tickets! TPCiH will be hosted at the Hilton Houston North on Greenspoint Drive and registration is open. Tickets are on sale now at $275.00 each. Early-bird pricing ends Friday, May 1. http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets Venue Information

    ... read more
  • The Perl and Raku Conference Registration is LIVE! Mon, 06-Jan-2020 by IrishPebbles

    Registration is live! Get your tickets! #TPCiH will be hosted at the Hilton Houston North on Greenspoint Drive June 23rd to 27th. Tickets are now on sale for $275.00 each. Early-bird pricing through Apr 30th http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets #TPRCiH #perlcon #perl #rakulang

    ... read more
  • April-December report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Sat, 21-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    This is a status update on my Perl 6 Performance and Reliability grant. First of all, I'd like to explain why there's been so little progress in the latter part of the year.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): November 2019 Grant Report Wed, 18-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 58 tickets were reviewed, and 3 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #2 Thu, 12-Dec-2019 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: Call for presentations open soon! https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Call for master-class/tutorial teachers open! Venue announced Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors! Contact us Call for Presenters The call for presentations is open now! Submit your ideas early. The deadline is Monday, Jan 26 11:59 pm EST 1/27/20 4:59 am GMT. https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Whether this is your first time submitting a talk proposal or one of many you’ve proposed and presented,

    ... read more
  • TPF President - 100 days in Tue, 10-Dec-2019 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    As I write this I have served my first 100 days as president of TPF. There’s another 631 days to go in this two-year term.

    This is a role that I relish, and in these two years I want to ensure we focus on initiatives that can be delivered and sustained.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): October 2019 Grant Report Sat, 07-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 32 tickets were reviewed, and 6 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for October / November 2019 Sat, 07-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    ... read more
  • Grants: November 2019 Votes Thu, 05-Dec-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November/December 2019 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved. **Voting results: Approved: 7 YES votes, 0 NO votes, 3 abstentions The committee members were in general very positive about this proposal. We accept proposals throughout the year; our next round of review will begin early January 2020. You can submit proposals at any time. If you want to

    ... read more
  • #TPCiH to be @ Hilton Houston North Jun 23-27, 2020 Sun, 24-Nov-2019 by IrishPebbles

    The Hilton Houston North has been selected as the #TPCiH venue! #savethdates June 23-27, 2020. The 3-day tech conference goes from Wednesday, June 24 through Friday, June 26. Master-class tutorial sessions will be offered Tuesday, June 23 and Saturday, June 27 #perlcon #rakulang

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): September 2019 Grant Report Wed, 20-Nov-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 35 tickets were reviewed, and 8 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • Grant Completed: Future::AsyncAwait Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The grant for Future::AsyncAwait by Paul Evans has been completed. Please see the final grant report, as well as the original proposal. The grants committee has voted to approve payout on this grant.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals: November/December 2019 Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the November/December 2019 round. Implement Perl Binding for libuv Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by November 18th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced by the end

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Implement Perl Binding for libuv Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    UV Name: Paul Evans Amount Requested: USD 3,698 Synopsis Implement a Perl binding for libuv, wrapping as many of the features and types as is practical and useful for Perl 5. Benefits to the Perl Community The libuv library provides a multi-platform event system, and is the basis for the nodejs JavaScript and moarvm Perl 6 runtimes and the neovim text editor, to give a few examples. It

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #12 Sun, 03-Nov-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    The latest feature is named "Network View" and offers a top level view of objects and their relationships. Read Timo's latest grant report at: Introducing: The Heap Snapshot UI.

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (November 2019 Round) Fri, 01-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting! If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 November 8th, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through November 15th, and we

    ... read more
  • TPF response to Raku rename Tue, 29-Oct-2019 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    What's in a name? So this month, we recognise that 'Perl 6' was officially renamed 'Raku' following the blessing of Perl creator Larry Wall Unsurprisingly, this change has fostered further controversy in the community. The Perl 6 name has been used for almost 20 years and many community members have invested time, effort and emotional energy developing and advocating Perl 6. That makes this change hard. Equally, many community members

    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #1 Tue, 22-Oct-2019 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: About The Perl Conference in Houston Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors Call for talk ideas Contact us About #TPCiH In 2020 we’ll be in Houston, Texas. The Perl Conference in Houston will use hashtag #TPCiH, which follows with previous years taking the first letter of the name or letters for cities with more than one word in their names So if you see #TPCiH around on

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for September 2019 Thu, 17-Oct-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    ... read more
  • Final Grant Report: Future::AsyncAwait Thu, 10-Oct-2019 by domm
    in: Grants

    Future::AsyncAwait Final Report Here is the final report by Paul Evans on his Future::AsyncAwait Grant: This project set out to improve the Future::AsyncAwait module, fixing a number of known bugs and adding missing features. It also aimed to improve documentation and user-awareness of the new abilities that the module adds to Perl. I believe it has been successful in all of these areas. Bugs Fixed Of particular note, the original

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Tony Cook) Mon, 07-Oct-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work.

    ... read more
  • Grants: September 2019 Votes Fri, 04-Oct-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the September/October 2019 round.

    There was one proposal this round, which was not approved.

    ... read more
  • Details of the new TPF blog site Thu, 03-Oct-2019 by Henry Van Styn

    Late this evening we flipped the switch which decommissioned the long-running MovableType-based TPF blog site, replacing it with a brand new system based on the much more modern, open-source and license free Rapi::Blog platform.

    In this article I'm going to breakdown the basics of what you need to know to get comfortable using the new system as painlessly as possible, where to go for support if you have questions or run into problems, how to fire up your own instance of the site, and finally, how to become a contributor

    ... read more
  • New TPF Blog Site Now Live Thu, 03-Oct-2019 by Jim Brandt

    If you're reading this, you probably noticed that things look a little different. We're very happy to announce that the blog update I mentioned at TPC this year is now live. The new blog is an instance of an all perl blogging platform called Rapi::Blog, which is built on RapidApp. All of the older posts and comments have been imported and should be available. Speaking of those hundreds of existing

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Sep/Oct 2019 Sat, 21-Sep-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the September/October 2019 round. Curating Perl 6 Documentation Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by September 27th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced shortly after.

    ... read more
  • Pete Krawczyk nominated for TPF Treasurer Wed, 18-Sep-2019 by Dan Wright

    Our nominee to join The Perl Foundation’s Board of Directors as Treasurer is Pete Krawczyk. Prior to making a final decision, our standard policy includes a public comment period. The community is invited to post public feedback or ask questions of Pete on this blog post. We will wait a minimum of two weeks prior to making a decision. If any member of the community would like to express concerns

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Curating Perl 6 Documentation Tue, 17-Sep-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the September/October 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Due to my delay in posting this, I'm extending the comment period. Please review the proposal below and please comment here by September 27th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. Name: Richard Hainsworth

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): August 2019 Grant Report Mon, 16-Sep-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 54 tickets were reviewed, and 9 patches were applied
    
    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #11 Sun, 15-Sep-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    It has been a while since the last grant report. However, Timo has made good progress. Read more about snapshot summary updates and new frontend graphs at: Progressing with progress.

    ... read more
  • Final Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend Sat, 14-Sep-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    While a number of intended deliverables for remain unmet, he's made significant contributions to the expression backend and has identified unexpected roadblocks to the remaining tasks that should yield to additional preparatory work. In light of this, the Grants Committee will be considering Bart's report below and voting on a payment for the currently accomplished work of 50% of the original amount requested. The Grants Committee will consider a revised

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (September 2019 Round) Tue, 03-Sep-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 September 13th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through September 20th, and conclude the process

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for August 2019 Tue, 03-Sep-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. I spent last month mainly working on miscellaneous RT tickets. SUMMARY: 1:06 RT #134271 heap-buffer-overflow in Perl_sv_catpv_flag 2:54 RT #134316-6eebe43d5f breaks GUGOD/invoker-0.35.tar.gz 1:42 RT #13432073cdf3a836 breaks YVES/Sereal-Decoder-4.007.tar.gz 0:45 RT #134335 Assertion error in S_regmatch 2:01 RT #134344 v5.31.2-54-g8c47b5bce7

    ... read more
  • Stuart Mackintosh is new TPF President Fri, 30-Aug-2019 by Jim Brandt

    I'm very happy to report that following the nomination process, the board has elected Stuart Mackintosh as the new president of The Perl Foundation. Stuart will officially assume the role on September 1, 2019. Congratulations to Stuart and good luck in your new role!

    ... read more
  • Revitalize blogs.perl.org - Status Report Wed, 14-Aug-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Update for Revitalize blogs.perl.org We've had several changes in the GC staffing since this grant began; I'm taking over as the Grant Manager. André's last published status is here: http://blogs.perl.org/users/andrewalker/2018/10/progress-of-blogsperlorg-grant.html Since then, he has received a DB dump so he can process actual data rather than "Lorem Ipsum" sample posts. This will allow him to run through the final iteration of work to attempt to process the exported posts and

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): July 2019 Grant Report Sun, 11-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 30 tickets were reviewed, and 8 patches were applied 3.43 #120841 document ERRSV, CLEAR_ERRSV and the errno handling functions for internal use, comment with patch #120841 retest. Try to figure out some strange output in perlintern.pod, find the

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell) Fri, 09-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Dave Mitchell has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 333 hours to this work. During this grant he sent regular reports to the p5p mailing list as well as providing monthly summary reports that have been published on this site, the most recent of which are linked below: July 2019 June 2019 May 2019 Before

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for July 2019 Fri, 09-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I did last month was shrinking the size of the opslot structure, which wraps each op when using slabs On 64-bit platforms this saves 8 bytes per allocated op. This work will be pushed shortly. SUMMARY: 3:43 RT #134275

    ... read more
  • Board update to SoC incident Thu, 25-Jul-2019 by Dan Wright

    Dear Perl Community Last week, in a blog post, The Perl Foundation Board of Directors announced that it would be providing further analysis of a recent Standards of Conduct decision with the hopes of providing an update this week. After reaching out to various parties and receiving additional information, it is clear that this issue will not be resolved in a week. The Board will continue to work on this

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): June 2019 Grant Report Wed, 24-Jul-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 40 tickets were reviewed, and 18 patches were applied 11.77 #122112 review, testing, comment #122112 research, set up VM #122112 try to diagnose issue on android, remove some extraneous debug output #122112 debugging, testing older versions

    ... read more
  • Board response to SoC incident. Thu, 18-Jul-2019 by Dan Wright

    Dear Perl Community: As reported in our blog post last week, the Board has been reviewing the details surrounding the decision to delist a conference video from The Perl Foundation's YouTube channel following a Standards of Conduct complaint. As part of this review, a special Board meeting was held on July 16th, 2019 to review the complaint and the process of how it was handled. The Board of Directors have

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Jul/Aug 2019 Mon, 15-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received no grant proposals for the July/August 2019 round. The community may submit proposals at any time, and the Committee will review them every two months. The next round will start in September 2019.

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - June 2019 Sat, 13-Jul-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart gave me this interim report on his grant: is essentially complete. Bart is currently finishing floating point support in conditional expressions. This is surprisingly nontrivial, he indicates, because of NaN, and because of condition code differences between floating point and integer comparisons. is nearing completion. Bart says it turned out to have a whole lot of overlap with the floating point support. He

    ... read more
  • Clarification on 2019 Perl Conference SoC Incident Fri, 12-Jul-2019 by Jim Brandt

    There has been much discussion about the Perl Conference's Standards of Conduct Committee's decision to delist a video from the 2019 Perl Conference videos. We would like to provide some additional context to help explain this decision. This incident has been new to us from the beginning because it happened after the Perl Conference concluded. Most of our focus on SoC policy has been on handling incidents that might happen

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Nadim Khemir Wed, 10-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has a new volunteer Grant Manager, Nadim ibn Hamouda ibn Othman El Khemir. Nadim has over fifteen years of perl experience with modules on https://metacpan.org/author/NKH, and https://github.com/nkh: Notably Asciio and Data::Dump::Tree He will start by taking up the management of the Perl 6 Networking support grant.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Sebastian Riedel Tue, 09-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Sebastian Riedel. Sebastian's been a Perl user for almost 20 years now, both professionally and privately, and has been involved in Perl community in some way for most of that time. It was the Perl community that brought him to Open Source, and he's contributed to hundreds of CPAN modules over the years.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for June 2019 Tue, 09-Jul-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is finishing off making optree-walking functions in op.c non-recursive and/or non-leaky. This work has now been merged into blead. SUMMARY: 2:18 RT #133902 Segfault in Perl_was_lvalue_sub 2:22 RT #134208 heap-use-after-free

    ... read more
  • Standards of Conduct Incident Report for TPC 2019 Mon, 08-Jul-2019 by IrishPebbles

    During one of the presentations at TPC, a speaker made disrespectful comments concerning a member of our community. Specifically, the speaker both deadnamed and misgendered this person. As with all of our talks, a recording was made of the session and posted to our YouTube channel. We received a complaint regarding his comments after the video was posted. Upon reviewing the video, the SOC Committee has concluded that the comments

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Nicolas R Mon, 08-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Nicolas R. Nicolas R. is an active Perl 5 developer, who took part of several Perl 5 toolchain summits and Perl 5 summits, where he provided a prototype for grep.metacpan.org He's currently maintaining the Perl 5 Compiler at cPanel LLC, and has also provided several minor optimizations to core. atoomic is the author

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Jason Crome Sun, 07-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Jason Crome. Jason has been hacking off and on in Perl since the early 2000s, and full time for about the last 7 years. He was an active member in the CGI::Application community back in the day, before moving on to Dancer. Presently, he is one of the Dancer Core Developers and the

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Todd Rinaldo Sat, 06-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Todd Rinaldo. Todd is a CPAN author, a contributor to p5p and has one dev release under his belt. Todd has both attended and helped to organize YAPC/TPC. He has been coding perl since his first class on CGI programming in 1995.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Daisuke Maki Fri, 05-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Daisuke Maki has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2013. We wish him well in whatever he takes on next.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Alberto Simões Thu, 04-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Alberto Simões has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2007, especially for his tenure as the Secretary of the committee. We wish him well in his future efforts.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Perrin Harkins Wed, 03-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Perrin Harkins has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2008, and wish him well in his new endeavors. If you are interested in volunteering as a member on the committee, please reach out to me at tpf-grants-secretary@perlfoundation.org

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (July 2019 Round) Tue, 02-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two month period and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 July 12th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through July 19th, and conclude

    ... read more
  • Grants: May/Jun 2019 votes Mon, 01-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the May/June 2019 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved and will be funded. Voting results: 5 Yes votes with a score of 20 no No votes. Several members commented that this latest revision of the proposal addressed issues raised by the GC in the previous version. We accept proposals throughout the year; our next round of review will

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): May 2019 Grant Report Fri, 21-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 30 tickets were reviewed, and 5 patches were applied 0.20 #121783 comment 7.98 #122112 re-work to save the pid instead of the fd #122112 more re-work, testing #122112 debugging, re-work differently #122112 work on a simpler fix

    ... read more
  • Stuart Mackintosh Nominated for TPF President Mon, 17-Jun-2019 by Jim Brandt

    Our next nominee to join the Perl Foundation board is a candidate to take over the very important role of President. We are very excited to present Stuart Mackintosh for this position. Stuart is based in the UK and has been working with Open Source software for over 25 years and through his company OpusVL since 1999. Over that time, he has worked with several open source organizations including OFE,

    ... read more
  • European Perl Conference 2019 Tue, 11-Jun-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    This year's European Perl Conference takes place in Riga, Latvia, between the 7th and 9th August 2019. This is the 20th edition of the conference previously known as YAPC::Europe, then TPCiA and TPCiG, and now it is renamed to PerlCon. Despite the name and location, our attendees come from all around the world. The top five countries with the most attendees are the UK, Germany, USA, Russia and the Netherlands.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Moritz Lenz Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Moritz Lenz. Moritz has been using Perl since at least 2003, and has been active on Perlmonks and in the German Perl community. Since 2007 he has also been active in Perl 6, become a core contributor to the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler and the official Perl 6 test suite, and has written

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Rafael Garcia-Suarez Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Rafael Garcia-Suarez has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community over the years, and wish him well in his new endeavors. If you are interested in volunteering as a member on the committee, please reach out to me at tpf-grants-secretary@perlfoundation.org

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals May/Jun 2019 Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the May/June 2019 round. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by June 14th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced shortly

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the May/June 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Review the proposal below and please comment here by June 14th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Name Andrew Shitov Amount Requested USD $10,000

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): April 2019 Grant Report Sat, 08-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 23 tickets were reviewed, and 2 patches were applied 0.74 #133878 debugging #133878 debugging, comment 0.38 #133909 review, porting test, minor fix, apply to blead 1.00 #133925 review code #133925 more code review 1.18 #133951 re-test,

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - May 2019 Fri, 07-Jun-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart reports the latest progress: Fixed a few windows-specific bugs Assigned a permissible-register set to live ranges, which makes it possible to combine values with distinct register requirements Ensured that when a value is spilled to make place for another, the released register is actually one that the new value can use. In other words, a bunch of register allocator work. Floating point support is close to being finished. He

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for May 2019 Wed, 05-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is to make the optree-walking functions in op.c non-recursive and/or non-leaky. In auto-generated code, such as $a and things involving arbitrary-deep nesting of braces and parentheses, it's easy during compilation to

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #10 Sun, 02-Jun-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo developed a language named confprog, using which one can set entry points in the profiler. This is useful for selective profiling of large codebases. Read more at: "A Close Look At Controlling The MoarVM Profiler":https://wakelift.de/2019/05/22/close-look-at-controlling-moarvm-profiler/

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (May 2019 Round) Thu, 30-May-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two month period and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 June 7th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through June 14th, and conclude

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for April 2019 Fri, 10-May-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is continuing to fix issues related to smoke reports and getting blead in shape for the 5.30.0 release. In particular, I've been looking at Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks. SUMMARY:

    ... read more
  • March report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Mon, 29-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: March saw me spending rather little time on my Perl 6 grant. I merged various optimizations I developed during February, but held back to merge until after the March release in order that they could receive more testing before appearing in a release. I also did a few other minor optimizations, and fixed a performance regression introduced during a recent bug fix. During March, I attended the German

    ... read more
  • TPF to participate in Google Season of Docs Sun, 21-Apr-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    Google Summer of Code is making great progress. I appreciate everyone's help so far. Separately, The Perl Foundation plans to participate in the first edition of Google Season of Docs. This initiative will fund writers to help improve the documentation of open source projects, and TPF will be applying to improve the documentation of the Perl 6 language. This documentation effort started in 2012 and is fully volunteer based. It's

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - March/April 2019 Sat, 20-Apr-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart received helpful comments on his blog posts last month that will move him ahead with intermediate representation optimization and register allocation. He writes: I'm still working on finalizing the floating point support for the JIT compiler, but I've also started work on the new register allocation algorithm. This wasn't strictly a deliverable, but I expect it will help the deliverable of improving code generation. MAJ

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Approved: Tony Cook (Maintaining Perl 5) Tue, 16-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    I'm pleased to announce that the Board of Directors approved Tony's request for another $20,000. It will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work. I would like to thank the community members who took time to comment on this grant extension request and our sponsors who made funding the grant possible through the Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund.

    ... read more
  • White Camel Awards for 2018 Mon, 15-Apr-2019 by Jim Brandt
    in: Awards

    The White Camel Awards recognize outstanding, non-technical achievement in Perl. Started in 1999 by Perl mongers and later merged with The Perl Foundation, the awards committee selects three names from a long list of worthy Perl volunteers to recognize hard work in Perl Community, Perl Advocacy, and Perl User Groups. These awards have been managed by The Perl Review in conjunction with the The Perl Foundation. For 2018, the White

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): March 2019 Grant Report Fri, 12-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 15 tickets were reviewed. 1.00 #131115 debugging, comment 3.29 #132782 work on tests, testing #132782 debugging, comment with tests and about the patches supplied. 3.61 #133888 debugging #133888 debugging, review code #133888 more debugging, code

    ... read more
  • Grants: March 2019 votes Tue, 09-Apr-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November 2018 round. There was one proposal this round, which was not approved. Perl 6 Course with Exercises Voting results: Not approved: 3 YES votes with a score of 11 4 NO votes This was a close vote. Many members were very enthusiastic about this project. Others, while agreeing that a course like this would be good for the language, were

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for March 2019 Sun, 07-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is fixing issues related to smoke reports. In particular, I've been looking at Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks. SUMMARY: 3:53 RT #133879> heap-use-after-free 0:53 RT #133886 heap-buffer-overflow

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #9 Wed, 03-Apr-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo's latest update regarding compression of heap snapshots: Intermediate Progress Report: Heap Snapshots.

    ... read more
  • Grant Committee - Request for Members Wed, 20-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    We are looking for new members to join the Grant Committee. We have a few members who are ready to retire, and so we have a few positions to consider filling. Voting members review proposals every two months, including community feedback, and vote on whether to approve/fund the grant. Grant Managers

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Mar/Apr 2019 Sat, 16-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the March/April 2019 round. Create a complete course of the Perl 6 programming language Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by March 22nd, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Create a complete course of the Perl 6 programming language Sat, 16-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the March/April 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Review the proposal below and please comment here by March 22nd, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Name Andrew Shitov Amount Requested USD $9,996

    ... read more
  • February report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Fri, 15-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: The majority of my Perl 6 grant time during February was spent on the escape analysis and scalar replacement work. Happily, the first round of work on this analysis and optimization reached the point of being complete and stable enough to merge into MoarVM master, so Perl 6 users can now benefit from it. I also made allocation profiling aware of scalar replacement, meaning profiling does not block

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): February 2019 Grant Report Mon, 11-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 37 tickets were reviewed, and 9 patches were applied 0.85 #108276 re-test, apply to blead 12.83 #124203 reproduce, debugging at start of DB::sub>, try to bisect #124203 bisect some more, review results, notice change in bug and

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Tony Cook) Mon, 11-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work. During this grant he sent regular reports to the p5p mailing list as well as providing monthly summary reports that have been published on this site, the most recent of which are linked below: http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/01/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-d-1.html http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/02/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-j-1.html http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/03/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-f-1.html Before we make a

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - February 2019 Sat, 09-Mar-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Brrt reports that February was busy and short, but that he did some research on other implementations of register allocation that he can apply to MoarVM JIT. He notes the following conundrum that he has been thinking about. Maybe a reader can advise: I've also encountered a limitation in the optimization of the IR, which I'm trying to resolve. The issue is this, if I have a bunch of code

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #8 Wed, 06-Mar-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo has written a new blog post with the latest updates. Read more at: Always Wear Safety Equipment When Inline Scalaring!

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for December 2018 - February 2019 Mon, 04-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. This "monthly" report covers 3 months, as I've been failing to do much work on perl for a while. Hopefully things will improve now. The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related to smoke reports. In particular

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (March 2019 Round) Fri, 01-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another evaluation period is upon us. If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 March 15th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through March 22nd, and

    ... read more
  • Grants: November 2018 votes Fri, 01-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November 2018 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved and funded. While we would normally have concluded this process sooner, there were delays related to the skipped January/February round, my apologies to all those impacted. Voting results: Approved and funded: 4 yes votes with a score of 18 Feedback generally positive suggested that future grants be considered in

    ... read more
  • TPF to participates in Google Summer of Code 2019 as a mentor organization Wed, 27-Feb-2019 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: GSoC

    I am pleased to announce that The Perl Foundation has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2019 mentor organization. You can still submit new ideas or propose yourself as a mentor. To add ideas, or to become a mentor, see our GitHub repo. Students can connect with us at our Google Summer of Code page. I appreciate the hard work made by the community volunteers, especially JJ Merelo,

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): January 2019 Grant Report Fri, 15-Feb-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 54 tickets were reviewed, and 11 patches were applied 8.88 #108276 review #108276 check over committed changes, look to re-work, ask list about PERL_OP_PARENT #108276 cleanup PERL_OP_PARENT detritus #108276 review old patches, re-work, testing #108276 more

    ... read more
  • January report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Mon, 11-Feb-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: January was a busy and productive month for my Perl 6 grant work. Back in November, I was working on allowing us to lower lexical variables into locals. This is possible when they are not closed over, and allows for generation of more efficient code, which is in turn much easier for backends MoarVM, the JVM, and JavaScript to deal with in their own optimizers. It can also

    ... read more
  • Request for Comments: Dave Rolsky's class at TPC 2019 Mon, 11-Feb-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    Dave Rolsky taught classes at YAPC/TPC for a number of years and he was compensated for it. As Dave is a new member of the TPF Board and TPF organizes TPC, there is a potential conflict of interest. Dave wishes to continue his class. The typical rate paid by students is in the range of $150-$175 TPC takes a portion of it to cover expense such as venue and the

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - January 2019 Wed, 06-Feb-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Brrt is untangling the intricacies of floating point expressions so close to the metal in his He provides some of his insights Here is his brief report Last month, I've been busy with floating point support. Getting that ready involved two things: Getting the type system for the expression template precompiler ready. This works now, I'm happy with the result. Fixing the register allocator to support it. This works as

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): December 2018 Grant Report Thu, 31-Jan-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 27 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 9 patches were applied. 0.52 Cpan #122912 followup 0.33 #131165 review, make public, comment and close 6.29 #133030 review discussion and my old patch, research #133030 testing, cross-platform testing, fixes

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (January 2019 Round) Sun, 27-Jan-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Due to the lack of a budget for 2019, the Grants Committee process to request grant proposals is stalled. Once funds for the current year are allocated, we will re-open the RFP process. If you have further questions, please contact me at tpf-grants-secretary at perl-foundation.org.

    ... read more
  • Google Summer of Code 2019 Participation Wed, 23-Jan-2019 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: GSoC

    The Perl Foundation is participating in Google Summer of Code again this year. Projects on Perl 5, Perl 6 modules or infrastructure are all equally welcome. Currently we are seeking project ideas and mentors. The GSoC page has some more information on what it means becoming a mentor. Ideas are collected in a GitHub repo, so just open a pull request with your idea. Deadline for project idea and mentor

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #7 Wed, 23-Jan-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo has implemented a new graph for the overview page: Graph items, when selected, display more information such as the file name and line number. The file name and line number are clickable and will take you to the file and line in GitHub. Read more at:

    ... read more
  • Grant Report : Revitalize blogs.perl.org : August 2018 Mon, 21-Jan-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Back in August 2018, André Walker reported on his initial work to revitalize the revitalizing of blogs.perl.org. He made the following report to the TPF Grants Committee on 14 Aug 2018 The latest report as of this post can be found here. Short update regarding grant progress. I have most of the major features I wanted to implement already in place, even if some are a bit rough. So it's

    ... read more
  • Grant Report : Revitalize blogs.perl.org : December 2018 Mon, 21-Jan-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    André Walker reports significant progress on his bold attempt to revitalize blogs.perl.org. He made the following report to the TPF Grants Committee on 3 Jan 2019 I will also backpost another report André made to the Committee in Aug 2018 shortly. The work I set out to do for the grant on blogs.perl.org is almost complete. Here is a breakdown of what is done, what is missing for a first

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Approved: Jonathan Worthington's Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering grant Sat, 19-Jan-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    Jonathan Worthington recently requested an extension of his Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering grant. I'm pleased to announce that the Board of Directors approved extension of another $10,000. It'll allow him to dedicate another 167 hours to this work. I would like to thank the community members who took time to comment on this grant extension request and our sponsors who made funding the grant possible through our Perl

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering (Jonathan Worthington) Thu, 10-Jan-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan Worthington has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 333 hours to this work. His previous work was successfully delivered as reported in the latest reports: July August September October November December Jonathan writes: "I recently wrote about some of the things I plan to work on for Perl

    ... read more
  • December report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Tue, 08-Jan-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: December came with some travel and vacation, and so wasn't ideal for working on the larger ongoing tasks. I did, however, get in numerous smaller fixes, as well as reducing the overhad on regex matching and improving the performance of regex interpolation. Other fixes included a memory leak that was observed to impact Cro applications, a couple of GC errors, and a crash involving a certain interaction of

    ... read more
<< < > >>
Max results per page:    5    10    20    50    100    200    500