1 - 100 of 1303 posts:

<< < > >> Summaries on
  • Call for Grant Proposals (January 2020 Round) Sun, 16-Feb-2020 by Coke

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 February 22nd, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through the end of February,

    ... read more
  • Board update: TPF treasurer Sun, 16-Feb-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    Following nomination in September 2019 The Perl Foundation is pleased to welcome Pete Krawczyk as our new treasurer, being officially appointed 1st January 2020. Pete is a US-based software developer working for ZipRecruiter and has been programming in Perl for 23 years. Pete understands how valuable the community is to Perl. He says: “People, modules, features all come and go, but the community and the values we've developed sustain us

    ... read more
  • TPF Board Meeting Minutes for January 2020 Thu, 30-Jan-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    TPF Board members meet every month and we intend to publish meeting minutes going forward. Here's the one for January 17th, 2020. Attendees** Stuart J Mackintosh Dave Rolsky Dan Wright Pete Krawczyk Ricardo Signes Makoto Nozaki Approved Funding of $2500 for DCBPW Pawel Murias’ Ian Hague grant completion Cancel Patrick Michaud’s Ian Hague grant after having contacted Patrick, who agrees that the grant should be cancelled Other items** FOSDEM participation

    ... read more
  • Taking Part in Outreachy Wed, 22-Jan-2020 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce that The Perl Foundation will be taking part in the Outreachy May to August 2020 internships. The last time we participated was in 2016. At this stage we are looking for mentors and project ideas from the Perl and Raku community. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please read the Mentor description and add your ideas at our repo. We plan to close

    ... read more
  • Perl and Raku at FOSDEM 2020 Tue, 21-Jan-2020 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    We're excited to announce the Perl and Raku stand at FOSDEM 2020 conference in Brussels on Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd February. This is a great opportunity to share Perl and Raku with one of the largest meeting of developers and technologists. It also brings us together as a community and helps us engage with thousands of others, sharing the values of Perl and Raku. We are one of just

    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #3 Fri, 17-Jan-2020 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: Conference registration is live! http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets Venue information http://bit.ly/tpcihhotel Call for presentations! https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Call for master-class/tutorial teachers open! admin@perlconference.us Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors! treasurer@perlfoundation.org Contact us admin@perlconference.us Registration is live! Get your tickets! TPCiH will be hosted at the Hilton Houston North on Greenspoint Drive and registration is open. Tickets are on sale now at $275.00 each. Early-bird pricing ends Friday, May 1. http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets Venue Information

    ... read more
  • The Perl and Raku Conference Registration is LIVE! Mon, 06-Jan-2020 by IrishPebbles

    Registration is live! Get your tickets! #TPCiH will be hosted at the Hilton Houston North on Greenspoint Drive June 23rd to 27th. Tickets are now on sale for $275.00 each. Early-bird pricing through Apr 30th http://bit.ly/tpcihtickets #TPRCiH #perlcon #perl #rakulang

    ... read more
  • April-December report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Sat, 21-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    This is a status update on my Perl 6 Performance and Reliability grant. First of all, I'd like to explain why there's been so little progress in the latter part of the year.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): November 2019 Grant Report Wed, 18-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 58 tickets were reviewed, and 3 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #2 Thu, 12-Dec-2019 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: Call for presentations open soon! https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Call for master-class/tutorial teachers open! Venue announced Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors! Contact us Call for Presenters The call for presentations is open now! Submit your ideas early. The deadline is Monday, Jan 26 11:59 pm EST 1/27/20 4:59 am GMT. https://www.papercall.io/tpcihcfp Whether this is your first time submitting a talk proposal or one of many you’ve proposed and presented,

    ... read more
  • TPF President - 100 days in Tue, 10-Dec-2019 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    As I write this I have served my first 100 days as president of TPF. There’s another 631 days to go in this two-year term.

    This is a role that I relish, and in these two years I want to ensure we focus on initiatives that can be delivered and sustained.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): October 2019 Grant Report Sat, 07-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 32 tickets were reviewed, and 6 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for October / November 2019 Sat, 07-Dec-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    ... read more
  • Grants: November 2019 Votes Thu, 05-Dec-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November/December 2019 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved. **Voting results: Approved: 7 YES votes, 0 NO votes, 3 abstentions The committee members were in general very positive about this proposal. We accept proposals throughout the year; our next round of review will begin early January 2020. You can submit proposals at any time. If you want to

    ... read more
  • #TPCiH to be @ Hilton Houston North Jun 23-27, 2020 Sun, 24-Nov-2019 by IrishPebbles

    The Hilton Houston North has been selected as the #TPCiH venue! #savethdates June 23-27, 2020. The 3-day tech conference goes from Wednesday, June 24 through Friday, June 26. Master-class tutorial sessions will be offered Tuesday, June 23 and Saturday, June 27 #perlcon #rakulang

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): September 2019 Grant Report Wed, 20-Nov-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 35 tickets were reviewed, and 8 patches were
    applied
    
    ... read more
  • Grant Completed: Future::AsyncAwait Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The grant for Future::AsyncAwait by Paul Evans has been completed. Please see the final grant report, as well as the original proposal. The grants committee has voted to approve payout on this grant.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals: November/December 2019 Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the November/December 2019 round. Implement Perl Binding for libuv Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by November 18th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced by the end

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Implement Perl Binding for libuv Mon, 11-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    UV Name: Paul Evans Amount Requested: USD 3,698 Synopsis Implement a Perl binding for libuv, wrapping as many of the features and types as is practical and useful for Perl 5. Benefits to the Perl Community The libuv library provides a multi-platform event system, and is the basis for the nodejs JavaScript and moarvm Perl 6 runtimes and the neovim text editor, to give a few examples. It

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #12 Sun, 03-Nov-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    The latest feature is named "Network View" and offers a top level view of objects and their relationships. Read Timo's latest grant report at: Introducing: The Heap Snapshot UI.

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (November 2019 Round) Fri, 01-Nov-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting! If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 November 8th, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through November 15th, and we

    ... read more
  • TPF response to Raku rename Tue, 29-Oct-2019 by Stuart J Mackintosh

    What's in a name? So this month, we recognise that 'Perl 6' was officially renamed 'Raku' following the blessing of Perl creator Larry Wall Unsurprisingly, this change has fostered further controversy in the community. The Perl 6 name has been used for almost 20 years and many community members have invested time, effort and emotional energy developing and advocating Perl 6. That makes this change hard. Equally, many community members

    ... read more
  • TPCiH 2020 - Newsletter #1 Tue, 22-Oct-2019 by IrishPebbles

    In this issue: About The Perl Conference in Houston Volunteer-Organizer positions open Call for sponsors Call for talk ideas Contact us About #TPCiH In 2020 we’ll be in Houston, Texas. The Perl Conference in Houston will use hashtag #TPCiH, which follows with previous years taking the first letter of the name or letters for cities with more than one word in their names So if you see #TPCiH around on

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for September 2019 Thu, 17-Oct-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    ... read more
  • Final Grant Report: Future::AsyncAwait Thu, 10-Oct-2019 by domm
    in: Grants

    Future::AsyncAwait Final Report Here is the final report by Paul Evans on his Future::AsyncAwait Grant: This project set out to improve the Future::AsyncAwait module, fixing a number of known bugs and adding missing features. It also aimed to improve documentation and user-awareness of the new abilities that the module adds to Perl. I believe it has been successful in all of these areas. Bugs Fixed Of particular note, the original

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Tony Cook) Mon, 07-Oct-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work.

    ... read more
  • Grants: September 2019 Votes Fri, 04-Oct-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the September/October 2019 round.

    There was one proposal this round, which was not approved.

    ... read more
  • Details of the new TPF blog site Thu, 03-Oct-2019 by Henry Van Styn

    Late this evening we flipped the switch which decommissioned the long-running MovableType-based TPF blog site, replacing it with a brand new system based on the much more modern, open-source and license free Rapi::Blog platform.

    In this article I'm going to breakdown the basics of what you need to know to get comfortable using the new system as painlessly as possible, where to go for support if you have questions or run into problems, how to fire up your own instance of the site, and finally, how to become a contributor

    ... read more
  • New TPF Blog Site Now Live Thu, 03-Oct-2019 by Jim Brandt

    If you're reading this, you probably noticed that things look a little different. We're very happy to announce that the blog update I mentioned at TPC this year is now live. The new blog is an instance of an all perl blogging platform called Rapi::Blog, which is built on RapidApp. All of the older posts and comments have been imported and should be available. Speaking of those hundreds of existing

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Sep/Oct 2019 Sat, 21-Sep-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the September/October 2019 round. Curating Perl 6 Documentation Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by September 27th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced shortly after.

    ... read more
  • Pete Krawczyk nominated for TPF Treasurer Wed, 18-Sep-2019 by Dan Wright

    Our nominee to join The Perl Foundation’s Board of Directors as Treasurer is Pete Krawczyk. Prior to making a final decision, our standard policy includes a public comment period. The community is invited to post public feedback or ask questions of Pete on this blog post. We will wait a minimum of two weeks prior to making a decision. If any member of the community would like to express concerns

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Curating Perl 6 Documentation Tue, 17-Sep-2019 by Coke

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the September/October 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Due to my delay in posting this, I'm extending the comment period. Please review the proposal below and please comment here by September 27th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. Name: Richard Hainsworth

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): August 2019 Grant Report Mon, 16-Sep-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

    Approximately 54 tickets were reviewed, and 9 patches were applied
    
    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #11 Sun, 15-Sep-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    It has been a while since the last grant report. However, Timo has made good progress. Read more about snapshot summary updates and new frontend graphs at: Progressing with progress.

    ... read more
  • Final Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend Sat, 14-Sep-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    While a number of intended deliverables for remain unmet, he's made significant contributions to the expression backend and has identified unexpected roadblocks to the remaining tasks that should yield to additional preparatory work. In light of this, the Grants Committee will be considering Bart's report below and voting on a payment for the currently accomplished work of 50% of the original amount requested. The Grants Committee will consider a revised

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (September 2019 Round) Tue, 03-Sep-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 September 13th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through September 20th, and conclude the process

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for August 2019 Tue, 03-Sep-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. I spent last month mainly working on miscellaneous RT tickets. SUMMARY: 1:06 RT #134271 heap-buffer-overflow in Perl_sv_catpv_flag 2:54 RT #134316-6eebe43d5f breaks GUGOD/invoker-0.35.tar.gz 1:42 RT #13432073cdf3a836 breaks YVES/Sereal-Decoder-4.007.tar.gz 0:45 RT #134335 Assertion error in S_regmatch 2:01 RT #134344 v5.31.2-54-g8c47b5bce7

    ... read more
  • Stuart Mackintosh is new TPF President Fri, 30-Aug-2019 by Jim Brandt

    I'm very happy to report that following the nomination process, the board has elected Stuart Mackintosh as the new president of The Perl Foundation. Stuart will officially assume the role on September 1, 2019. Congratulations to Stuart and good luck in your new role!

    ... read more
  • Revitalize blogs.perl.org - Status Report Wed, 14-Aug-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Update for Revitalize blogs.perl.org We've had several changes in the GC staffing since this grant began; I'm taking over as the Grant Manager. André's last published status is here: http://blogs.perl.org/users/andrewalker/2018/10/progress-of-blogsperlorg-grant.html Since then, he has received a DB dump so he can process actual data rather than "Lorem Ipsum" sample posts. This will allow him to run through the final iteration of work to attempt to process the exported posts and

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): July 2019 Grant Report Sun, 11-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 30 tickets were reviewed, and 8 patches were applied 3.43 #120841 document ERRSV, CLEAR_ERRSV and the errno handling functions for internal use, comment with patch #120841 retest. Try to figure out some strange output in perlintern.pod, find the

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell) Fri, 09-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Dave Mitchell has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 333 hours to this work. During this grant he sent regular reports to the p5p mailing list as well as providing monthly summary reports that have been published on this site, the most recent of which are linked below: July 2019 June 2019 May 2019 Before

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for July 2019 Fri, 09-Aug-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I did last month was shrinking the size of the opslot structure, which wraps each op when using slabs On 64-bit platforms this saves 8 bytes per allocated op. This work will be pushed shortly. SUMMARY: 3:43 RT #134275

    ... read more
  • Board update to SoC incident Thu, 25-Jul-2019 by Dan Wright

    Dear Perl Community Last week, in a blog post, The Perl Foundation Board of Directors announced that it would be providing further analysis of a recent Standards of Conduct decision with the hopes of providing an update this week. After reaching out to various parties and receiving additional information, it is clear that this issue will not be resolved in a week. The Board will continue to work on this

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): June 2019 Grant Report Wed, 24-Jul-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 40 tickets were reviewed, and 18 patches were applied 11.77 #122112 review, testing, comment #122112 research, set up VM #122112 try to diagnose issue on android, remove some extraneous debug output #122112 debugging, testing older versions

    ... read more
  • Board response to SoC incident. Thu, 18-Jul-2019 by Dan Wright

    Dear Perl Community: As reported in our blog post last week, the Board has been reviewing the details surrounding the decision to delist a conference video from The Perl Foundation's YouTube channel following a Standards of Conduct complaint. As part of this review, a special Board meeting was held on July 16th, 2019 to review the complaint and the process of how it was handled. The Board of Directors have

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Jul/Aug 2019 Mon, 15-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received no grant proposals for the July/August 2019 round. The community may submit proposals at any time, and the Committee will review them every two months. The next round will start in September 2019.

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - June 2019 Sat, 13-Jul-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart gave me this interim report on his grant: is essentially complete. Bart is currently finishing floating point support in conditional expressions. This is surprisingly nontrivial, he indicates, because of NaN, and because of condition code differences between floating point and integer comparisons. is nearing completion. Bart says it turned out to have a whole lot of overlap with the floating point support. He

    ... read more
  • Clarification on 2019 Perl Conference SoC Incident Fri, 12-Jul-2019 by Jim Brandt

    There has been much discussion about the Perl Conference's Standards of Conduct Committee's decision to delist a video from the 2019 Perl Conference videos. We would like to provide some additional context to help explain this decision. This incident has been new to us from the beginning because it happened after the Perl Conference concluded. Most of our focus on SoC policy has been on handling incidents that might happen

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Nadim Khemir Wed, 10-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has a new volunteer Grant Manager, Nadim ibn Hamouda ibn Othman El Khemir. Nadim has over fifteen years of perl experience with modules on https://metacpan.org/author/NKH, and https://github.com/nkh: Notably Asciio and Data::Dump::Tree He will start by taking up the management of the Perl 6 Networking support grant.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Sebastian Riedel Tue, 09-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Sebastian Riedel. Sebastian's been a Perl user for almost 20 years now, both professionally and privately, and has been involved in Perl community in some way for most of that time. It was the Perl community that brought him to Open Source, and he's contributed to hundreds of CPAN modules over the years.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for June 2019 Tue, 09-Jul-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is finishing off making optree-walking functions in op.c non-recursive and/or non-leaky. This work has now been merged into blead. SUMMARY: 2:18 RT #133902 Segfault in Perl_was_lvalue_sub 2:22 RT #134208 heap-use-after-free

    ... read more
  • Standards of Conduct Incident Report for TPC 2019 Mon, 08-Jul-2019 by IrishPebbles

    During one of the presentations at TPC, a speaker made disrespectful comments concerning a member of our community. Specifically, the speaker both deadnamed and misgendered this person. As with all of our talks, a recording was made of the session and posted to our YouTube channel. We received a complaint regarding his comments after the video was posted. Upon reviewing the video, the SOC Committee has concluded that the comments

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Nicolas R Mon, 08-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Nicolas R. Nicolas R. is an active Perl 5 developer, who took part of several Perl 5 toolchain summits and Perl 5 summits, where he provided a prototype for grep.metacpan.org He's currently maintaining the Perl 5 Compiler at cPanel LLC, and has also provided several minor optimizations to core. atoomic is the author

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Jason Crome Sun, 07-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Jason Crome. Jason has been hacking off and on in Perl since the early 2000s, and full time for about the last 7 years. He was an active member in the CGI::Application community back in the day, before moving on to Dancer. Presently, he is one of the Dancer Core Developers and the

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Todd Rinaldo Sat, 06-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Todd Rinaldo. Todd is a CPAN author, a contributor to p5p and has one dev release under his belt. Todd has both attended and helped to organize YAPC/TPC. He has been coding perl since his first class on CGI programming in 1995.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Daisuke Maki Fri, 05-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Daisuke Maki has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2013. We wish him well in whatever he takes on next.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Alberto Simões Thu, 04-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Alberto Simões has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2007, especially for his tenure as the Secretary of the committee. We wish him well in his future efforts.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Perrin Harkins Wed, 03-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Perrin Harkins has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community through the committee since 2008, and wish him well in his new endeavors. If you are interested in volunteering as a member on the committee, please reach out to me at tpf-grants-secretary@perlfoundation.org

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (July 2019 Round) Tue, 02-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two month period and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 July 12th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through July 19th, and conclude

    ... read more
  • Grants: May/Jun 2019 votes Mon, 01-Jul-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the May/June 2019 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved and will be funded. Voting results: 5 Yes votes with a score of 20 no No votes. Several members commented that this latest revision of the proposal addressed issues raised by the GC in the previous version. We accept proposals throughout the year; our next round of review will

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): May 2019 Grant Report Fri, 21-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 30 tickets were reviewed, and 5 patches were applied 0.20 #121783 comment 7.98 #122112 re-work to save the pid instead of the fd #122112 more re-work, testing #122112 debugging, re-work differently #122112 work on a simpler fix

    ... read more
  • Stuart Mackintosh Nominated for TPF President Mon, 17-Jun-2019 by Jim Brandt

    Our next nominee to join the Perl Foundation board is a candidate to take over the very important role of President. We are very excited to present Stuart Mackintosh for this position. Stuart is based in the UK and has been working with Open Source software for over 25 years and through his company OpusVL since 1999. Over that time, he has worked with several open source organizations including OFE,

    ... read more
  • European Perl Conference 2019 Tue, 11-Jun-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    This year's European Perl Conference takes place in Riga, Latvia, between the 7th and 9th August 2019. This is the 20th edition of the conference previously known as YAPC::Europe, then TPCiA and TPCiG, and now it is renamed to PerlCon. Despite the name and location, our attendees come from all around the world. The top five countries with the most attendees are the UK, Germany, USA, Russia and the Netherlands.

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Moritz Lenz Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    I am pleased to announce that the TPF Grants Committee has voted to accept a new member, Moritz Lenz. Moritz has been using Perl since at least 2003, and has been active on Perlmonks and in the German Perl community. Since 2007 he has also been active in Perl 6, become a core contributor to the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler and the official Perl 6 test suite, and has written

    ... read more
  • TPF Grants Committee: Rafael Garcia-Suarez Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Rafael Garcia-Suarez has retired from the TPF Grants Committee. We appreciate his service to the community over the years, and wish him well in his new endeavors. If you are interested in volunteering as a member on the committee, please reach out to me at tpf-grants-secretary@perlfoundation.org

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals May/Jun 2019 Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the May/June 2019 round. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by June 14th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will be announced shortly

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Mon, 10-Jun-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the May/June 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Review the proposal below and please comment here by June 14th, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Name Andrew Shitov Amount Requested USD $10,000

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): April 2019 Grant Report Sat, 08-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 23 tickets were reviewed, and 2 patches were applied 0.74 #133878 debugging #133878 debugging, comment 0.38 #133909 review, porting test, minor fix, apply to blead 1.00 #133925 review code #133925 more code review 1.18 #133951 re-test,

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - May 2019 Fri, 07-Jun-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart reports the latest progress: Fixed a few windows-specific bugs Assigned a permissible-register set to live ranges, which makes it possible to combine values with distinct register requirements Ensured that when a value is spilled to make place for another, the released register is actually one that the new value can use. In other words, a bunch of register allocator work. Floating point support is close to being finished. He

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for May 2019 Wed, 05-Jun-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is to make the optree-walking functions in op.c non-recursive and/or non-leaky. In auto-generated code, such as $a and things involving arbitrary-deep nesting of braces and parentheses, it's easy during compilation to

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #10 Sun, 02-Jun-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo developed a language named confprog, using which one can set entry points in the profiler. This is useful for selective profiling of large codebases. Read more at: "A Close Look At Controlling The MoarVM Profiler":https://wakelift.de/2019/05/22/close-look-at-controlling-moarvm-profiler/

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (May 2019 Round) Thu, 30-May-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two month period and another round is here! If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 June 7th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through June 14th, and conclude

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for April 2019 Fri, 10-May-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is continuing to fix issues related to smoke reports and getting blead in shape for the 5.30.0 release. In particular, I've been looking at Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks. SUMMARY:

    ... read more
  • March report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Mon, 29-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: March saw me spending rather little time on my Perl 6 grant. I merged various optimizations I developed during February, but held back to merge until after the March release in order that they could receive more testing before appearing in a release. I also did a few other minor optimizations, and fixed a performance regression introduced during a recent bug fix. During March, I attended the German

    ... read more
  • TPF to participate in Google Season of Docs Sun, 21-Apr-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    Google Summer of Code is making great progress. I appreciate everyone's help so far. Separately, The Perl Foundation plans to participate in the first edition of Google Season of Docs. This initiative will fund writers to help improve the documentation of open source projects, and TPF will be applying to improve the documentation of the Perl 6 language. This documentation effort started in 2012 and is fully volunteer based. It's

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - March/April 2019 Sat, 20-Apr-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Bart received helpful comments on his blog posts last month that will move him ahead with intermediate representation optimization and register allocation. He writes: I'm still working on finalizing the floating point support for the JIT compiler, but I've also started work on the new register allocation algorithm. This wasn't strictly a deliverable, but I expect it will help the deliverable of improving code generation. MAJ

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Approved: Tony Cook (Maintaining Perl 5) Tue, 16-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    I'm pleased to announce that the Board of Directors approved Tony's request for another $20,000. It will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work. I would like to thank the community members who took time to comment on this grant extension request and our sponsors who made funding the grant possible through the Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund.

    ... read more
  • White Camel Awards for 2018 Mon, 15-Apr-2019 by Jim Brandt
    in: Awards

    The White Camel Awards recognize outstanding, non-technical achievement in Perl. Started in 1999 by Perl mongers and later merged with The Perl Foundation, the awards committee selects three names from a long list of worthy Perl volunteers to recognize hard work in Perl Community, Perl Advocacy, and Perl User Groups. These awards have been managed by The Perl Review in conjunction with the The Perl Foundation. For 2018, the White

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): March 2019 Grant Report Fri, 12-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 15 tickets were reviewed. 1.00 #131115 debugging, comment 3.29 #132782 work on tests, testing #132782 debugging, comment with tests and about the patches supplied. 3.61 #133888 debugging #133888 debugging, review code #133888 more debugging, code

    ... read more
  • Grants: March 2019 votes Tue, 09-Apr-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November 2018 round. There was one proposal this round, which was not approved. Perl 6 Course with Exercises Voting results: Not approved: 3 YES votes with a score of 11 4 NO votes This was a close vote. Many members were very enthusiastic about this project. Others, while agreeing that a course like this would be good for the language, were

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for March 2019 Sun, 07-Apr-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. The main thing I have been doing over the last month is fixing issues related to smoke reports. In particular, I've been looking at Address Sanitizer failures related to memory leaks. SUMMARY: 3:53 RT #133879> heap-use-after-free 0:53 RT #133886 heap-buffer-overflow

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #9 Wed, 03-Apr-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo's latest update regarding compression of heap snapshots: Intermediate Progress Report: Heap Snapshots.

    ... read more
  • Grant Committee - Request for Members Wed, 20-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    We are looking for new members to join the Grant Committee. We have a few members who are ready to retire, and so we have a few positions to consider filling. Voting members review proposals every two months, including community feedback, and vote on whether to approve/fund the grant. Grant Managers

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals Mar/Apr 2019 Sat, 16-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the March/April 2019 round. Create a complete course of the Perl 6 programming language Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl community. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by March 22nd, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the conclusion will

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Create a complete course of the Perl 6 programming language Sat, 16-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposal for the March/April 2019 round. Before the Committee members vote, we would like to solicit feedback from the Perl community on the proposal. Review the proposal below and please comment here by March 22nd, 2019. The Committee members will start the voting process following that. A Complete Perl 6 Course with Exercises Name Andrew Shitov Amount Requested USD $9,996

    ... read more
  • February report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Fri, 15-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: The majority of my Perl 6 grant time during February was spent on the escape analysis and scalar replacement work. Happily, the first round of work on this analysis and optimization reached the point of being complete and stable enough to merge into MoarVM master, so Perl 6 users can now benefit from it. I also made allocation profiling aware of scalar replacement, meaning profiling does not block

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): February 2019 Grant Report Mon, 11-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 37 tickets were reviewed, and 9 patches were applied 0.85 #108276 re-test, apply to blead 12.83 #124203 reproduce, debugging at start of DB::sub>, try to bisect #124203 bisect some more, review results, notice change in bug and

    ... read more
  • Grant Extension Request: Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Tony Cook) Mon, 11-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work. During this grant he sent regular reports to the p5p mailing list as well as providing monthly summary reports that have been published on this site, the most recent of which are linked below: http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/01/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-d-1.html http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/02/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-j-1.html http://news.perlfoundation.org/2019/03/maintaining-perl-5-tony-cook-f-1.html Before we make a

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - February 2019 Sat, 09-Mar-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Brrt reports that February was busy and short, but that he did some research on other implementations of register allocation that he can apply to MoarVM JIT. He notes the following conundrum that he has been thinking about. Maybe a reader can advise: I've also encountered a limitation in the optimization of the IR, which I'm trying to resolve. The issue is this, if I have a bunch of code

    ... read more
  • Rakudo Perl 6 performance analysis tooling - Grant Report #8 Wed, 06-Mar-2019 by Alan Haggai Alavi

    Timo has written a new blog post with the latest updates. Read more at: Always Wear Safety Equipment When Inline Scalaring!

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for December 2018 - February 2019 Mon, 04-Mar-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. This "monthly" report covers 3 months, as I've been failing to do much work on perl for a while. Hopefully things will improve now. The main thing I have been doing over this time is fixing issues related to smoke reports. In particular

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (March 2019 Round) Fri, 01-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another evaluation period is upon us. If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 March 15th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through March 22nd, and

    ... read more
  • Grants: November 2018 votes Fri, 01-Mar-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded the voting of the November 2018 round. There was one proposal this round, which was approved and funded. While we would normally have concluded this process sooner, there were delays related to the skipped January/February round, my apologies to all those impacted. Voting results: Approved and funded: 4 yes votes with a score of 18 Feedback generally positive suggested that future grants be considered in

    ... read more
  • TPF to participates in Google Summer of Code 2019 as a mentor organization Wed, 27-Feb-2019 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: GSoC

    I am pleased to announce that The Perl Foundation has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2019 mentor organization. You can still submit new ideas or propose yourself as a mentor. To add ideas, or to become a mentor, see our GitHub repo. Students can connect with us at our Google Summer of Code page. I appreciate the hard work made by the community volunteers, especially JJ Merelo,

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): January 2019 Grant Report Fri, 15-Feb-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 54 tickets were reviewed, and 11 patches were applied 8.88 #108276 review #108276 check over committed changes, look to re-work, ask list about PERL_OP_PARENT #108276 cleanup PERL_OP_PARENT detritus #108276 review old patches, re-work, testing #108276 more

    ... read more
  • January report of the Perl 6 Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Mon, 11-Feb-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: January was a busy and productive month for my Perl 6 grant work. Back in November, I was working on allowing us to lower lexical variables into locals. This is possible when they are not closed over, and allows for generation of more efficient code, which is in turn much easier for backends MoarVM, the JVM, and JavaScript to deal with in their own optimizers. It can also

    ... read more
  • Request for Comments: Dave Rolsky's class at TPC 2019 Mon, 11-Feb-2019 by Makoto Nozaki

    Dave Rolsky taught classes at YAPC/TPC for a number of years and he was compensated for it. As Dave is a new member of the TPF Board and TPF organizes TPC, there is a potential conflict of interest. Dave wishes to continue his class. The typical rate paid by students is in the range of $150-$175 TPC takes a portion of it to cover expense such as venue and the

    ... read more
  • Grant Report - MoarVM JIT Compiler Expression Backend - January 2019 Wed, 06-Feb-2019 by Mark A Jensen
    in: Grants

    Brrt is untangling the intricacies of floating point expressions so close to the metal in his He provides some of his insights Here is his brief report Last month, I've been busy with floating point support. Getting that ready involved two things: Getting the type system for the expression template precompiler ready. This works now, I'm happy with the result. Fixing the register allocator to support it. This works as

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): December 2018 Grant Report Thu, 31-Jan-2019 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 27 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 9 patches were applied. 0.52 Cpan #122912 followup 0.33 #131165 review, make public, comment and close 6.29 #133030 review discussion and my old patch, research #133030 testing, cross-platform testing, fixes

    ... read more
  • Call for Grant Proposals (January 2019 Round) Sun, 27-Jan-2019 by Coke
    in: Grants

    Due to the lack of a budget for 2019, the Grants Committee process to request grant proposals is stalled. Once funds for the current year are allocated, we will re-open the RFP process. If you have further questions, please contact me at tpf-grants-secretary at perl-foundation.org.

    ... read more
<< < > >>
Max results per page:    5    10    20    50    100    200    500