1 - 50 of 1462 posts:

<< < > >> Summaries on
  • Ann Barcomb study: Survey launch Thu, 15-Jul-2021 by Nic Evans

    Published on behalf of TPF Board. of the University of Calgary is conducting research to understand episodic, or occasional, participation in the Perl and Raku communities, in collaboration with The Perl Foundation. The results of the research will be provided as a TPF report and will assist the community in improving practices for managing episodic participation to provide insights into what free libre open source software projects could do

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Maintaining Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell) Tue, 13-Jul-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Synopsis This application is to extend into the future the TPF grant funding I have been receiving over the last ten years or so to maintain the Perl core. I'm one of the main maintainers of the Perl core internals, and new funding will help me to continue working on the core. Project Details This project will cover improvements to the perl core such as: general maintenance, bug fixes, performance

    ... read more
  • Call for Grants: July 2021 Round Tue, 13-Jul-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 July 27, 2021, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through August 3rd, and we

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Dave Mitchell): May /June 2021 Report Tue, 13-Jul-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this possible. Did very little work in May 2:39 process p5p mailbox 2:39 TOTAL In June I made a start on catching up on many months of unread p5p emails, github notifications etc. SUMMARY: 10:46 process p5p mailbox 10:46 TOTAL There are 28.7

    ... read more
  • Outreachy Internship - Rosheen working on Open Food Facts Mon, 05-Jul-2021 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: Outreachy

    I am pleased to announce we accepted an intern, Rosheen Naeem, to this year’s Outreachy internship at Open Food Facts. Rosheen will work with Stéphane Gigandet on a project to improve the quality of the Open Food Facts backend to make it more friendly to new developers until August 2021. Rosheen is a software engineer based in Pakistan. She has expertise in web development and technical writing. She brings with

    ... read more
  • Finding a shared vision of Perl Mon, 05-Jul-2021 by Nic Evans

    Published on behalf of author: Andrew Solomon The Perl Foundation is conducting research to identify the shared values of the Perl community, and their vision of the Perl ecosystem in years to come. The goal is to provide information on which TPF, community groups, and individuals can make informed decisions and plans for the future. In this blog we’ll explain why this research is needed, what we have learned so

    ... read more
  • Raku CI Bot Grant Report June 2021 Sun, 04-Jul-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    Patrick Böker writes about the progress of his Raku CI Bot grant: Building on Khalids work, I improved the GitHub API auto-generation. Implemented and tested the logic to efficiently retrieve, package and store sets of Rakudo, NQP, MoarVM checkouts. I implemented and tested a nifty little helper to aid with asynchronous task processing. It's a trait that tacks onto a method and changes it so: It runs asynchronously.

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): May 2021 Report Sun, 27-Jun-2021 by Jason A. Crome

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this possible. Approximately 36 tickets were reviewed, and 6 patches were applied 0.55 research, comment on https topic in PSC #021 2021-05-21 0.67 #15608 research and comment 0.93 #18660 review suggested test code, research 0.15 #18670 re-check, apply to blead 10.57 #18703 try to

    ... read more
  • Grants: May 2021 Votes Fri, 18-Jun-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded voting on the May 2021 round. Two grant requests were submitted: Grant Proposal: Raku Dispatch and Compiler Improvements VOTING RESULTS: Approved. 7 YES vote 0 NO votes, 3 ABSTAIN Grant Proposal: Persistent Data Structures for Raku VOTING RESULTS: Approved. 7 YES vote 0 NO votes, 3 ABSTAIN The Grants Committee is excited to see work begin on these. We accept proposals throughout the year; our

    ... read more
  • RakuAST Grant Report for May 2021 Wed, 02-Jun-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    Regarding his RakuAST Grant, Jonathan Worthington reports some awesome progress for May 2021. Side note: due to a bug in the Markdown rendering in this blog post, the less-than and greater-than characters in code blocks are double-encoded. Please refer to this gist for a correctly rendered version. Anyway, here is Jonathan's report: During May I focused on filling out the regex part of RakuAST, with the result that the majority

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal Recap: May 2021 Tue, 01-Jun-2021 by Jason A. Crome

    The Grants Committee has received the following grant proposals for the May 2021 round: Raku Dispatch and Compiler Improvements Persistent Data Structures for Raku Before the Committee members vote on any proposal, we like to solicit feedback from the Perl and Raku communities. Review the proposals at their individual links and please comment there by June 6, 2021. The Committee members will start the voting process following that and the

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Persistent Data Structures for Raku Sun, 30-May-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Name Daniel Sockwell Synopsis Immutable, persistent data structures give a program certain superpowers that it's very hard to have in any other way: they allow the program to "time travel" they allow let the program share data across threads or asynchronously save it to disk without needing locks; they enable a much more purely functional style of programming which results in code that many software developers find much easier to

    ... read more
  • TPRCIC Newsletter 26 May 2021 Tue, 25-May-2021 by Nic Evans

    Welcome to the latest ‘The Perl and Raku Conference in the Cloud’ newsletter. This issue: The schedule is available Submit a Lightning Talk Volunteers needed Do you want to host a virtual BoF? Order your conference shirt About the Conference in the Cloud Get your tickets How to Reach Us See you real soon The conference is in just 2 weeks! We're really looking forward to seeing everyone again. We’ve

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): April 2021 Report Mon, 24-May-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this possible. Approximately 39 tickets were reviewed. 2.66 #16249 read code, try to work up some implementation #16249 more implementation 0.80 review list discussion, comment on #17999 re walking backwards through UTF-8 0.73 #18588 debugging 1.43 #18670 review CI results, reproduce on Win32,

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Raku Dispatch and Compiler Improvements Sun, 23-May-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Name Jonathan Worthington Synopsis I currently have two ongoing grants: A Raku performance and reliability grant, under which almost all the time is currently dedicated to implementing a new generalized dispatch mechanism. Progress so far indicate it will offer both performance improvements and simplify future development. A RakuAST grant, which involves implementing a user-facing document object model for the Raku programming language. This will provide a

    ... read more
  • Maintaining the Perl 5 Core (Dave Mitchell): Grant Report for March and April 2021 Sun, 23-May-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. 2: We would like to thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. 3: Did very little work in March and April 2:17 fix compiler warnings 0:38 fixup misc issues 3:46 process p5p mailbox 6:41 TOTAL

    ... read more
  • CAT: Addressing the issues, planning ahead Wed, 19-May-2021 by Dave Rolsky

    This is a statement from the TPF Board of Directors. We screwed up. The TPF Board failed to make sure that the first significant test of the new CAT team and process went well. For that, we deeply apologize. This post will go into detail on exactly what we think went wrong, clarify a number of points, and explain how we plan to do better in the future. Our first

    ... read more
  • April report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Tue, 18-May-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    In April I focused on resumption of multiple dispatch using the new dispatch mechanism that is, using callsame to move to the next candidate. I observed that moving between candidates with where clauses is largely the same process, and was able to factor things in such a way as to exploit these commonalities. The mechanism I implemented to achieve this turns failure to bind a signature into a dispatch resumption,

    ... read more
  • RakuAST Grant Report 2021-04 Mon, 17-May-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    Jonathan wrote an update to his RakuAST grant RakuAST continues to grow to cover more of the Raku language, and the new RakuAST-based compiler frontend advances along with it. This month saw 30 further spectest files start passing in full using the new compiler frontend. New AST nodes were created and compilation implemented for the following language constructs: Placeholder parameters, both positional and named Sigilless variable declarations Loop labels The

    ... read more
  • Grants Committee Vacancy Sun, 16-May-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee needs your help! We presently have an opening in the committee that needs to be filled. If you would be interested in assisting the TPF please contact me at tpf-grants-secretary at perlfoundation dot org. Thanks! Jason CromeDome

    ... read more
  • Call for Grants: May 2021 Sun, 16-May-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 May 30, 2021, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through June 9th, and we

    ... read more
  • TPRC Newsletter - May 2021 Fri, 14-May-2021 by Todd Rinaldo

    Read the latest news from TPRCIC 2021: Speakers announced, submit a lightning talk, set up a BOF, register for tickets and help us make the event a success.

    ... read more
  • Perl is part of Google's Season of Docs 2021 Thu, 13-May-2021 by Jason McIntosh

    The Perl Foundation is among the thirty open-source software organizations that Google has chosen to participate in 2021's Season of Docs program. Through this program, Google will fund a comprehensive audit of Perl's core documentation collection, a project proposed by Jason McIntosh earlier this year. For this project a hired expert will perform a gap analysis of the documentation's content and presentation. This work will compare the documentation's present state

    ... read more
  • The support developers need - survey results and actions taken Mon, 10-May-2021 by Nic Evans

    Author: Andrew Solomon. The Perl Foundation kicked off 2021 with a survey to find out how we can make Perl more welcoming to beginners. In this blog we: Describe who responded to the survey. Summarise the types of support they need. Explain the work TPF is now undertaking to address these needs. Explain how you can help, and how the TPF can support you. A link to the raw data

    ... read more
  • Raku CI Bot Grant Report 2021-04 Thu, 06-May-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    Regarding his Raku CI Bot grant, Patrick writes: In April I didn't find much time to work on the Raku CI Bot grant, because non computer things required my time. I added more API mappings to my clone of In particular I added relevant parts of the Checks, Pulls, OAuth and Issues APIs. I also rebased my changes on the fork of khalid who incidentally also started working on the

    ... read more
  • Community Affairs Team Transparency Report Update Sun, 02-May-2021 by Nic Evans

    The CAT would like to make some corrections, as well as address some of the comments and questions we received to the initial transparency report. The CAT plans to publish a separate statement in the coming days relating to general changes and improvements to the process. The subject of investigations #1 and #2, as referenced in the previous transparency report and below in this document, is the same and therefore

    ... read more
  • March report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Mon, 19-Apr-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes: March didn't see me doing that many grant hours; I was keeping my keyboard time down for the first half of the month, and then had a lot to catch up on in the second half On the upside, the time that was spent was productive: I got some way into implementing more of Raku's multiple dispatch semantics in terms of the new dispatcher. I've written a blog

    ... read more
  • Community Affairs Team Transparency Report Mon, 19-Apr-2021 by Nic Evans

    This report has been superceded by the updated report published on May 2. Please see that report instead. Following issues raised within the community, the CAT opened an investigation into community conduct. A second investigation was opened based on information discovered during the first investigation. What follows constitutes our second transparency report as well as an additional conclusion statement by the CAT. If you have not read it already, we

    ... read more
  • Community Affairs Team Update April 2021 Mon, 19-Apr-2021 by Nic Evans

    The CAT’s purpose is to foster a positive and safe environment for anyone who shares an interest in Perl and Raku. It has been one year since the Community Affairs Team was first announced in March of 2020. In June, the Perl Raku Conference in the Cloud took place. This was the first conference where Community Affairs Moderators were present to respond to and handle Standards of Conduct violations. Prior

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): March 2021 Report Mon, 19-Apr-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this possible. Approximately 29 tickets were reviewed, and 3 patches were applied 1.63 #18519 manually rebase and some clean up, make PR #18647 0.17 #18523 recheck and apply to blead 2.33 #18557 review, find several similar tickets, work on adding a warning, create #18643

    ... read more
  • RakuAST Grant Report 2021-03 Thu, 15-Apr-2021 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Jonathan Worthington has submitted his report for the RakuAST grant, which you can read below. In addition, you should check out his post about his work on the dispatcher. During March I implemented RakuAST nodes and updated the RakuAST-based compiler frontend to cover the following features: The for statement modifier, both in sink and non-sink form Specifying the return type or value in signatures using The rx// construct, so far

    ... read more
  • Community Leaders Meeting March 2021 Mon, 12-Apr-2021 by Nic Evans

    The Community Leaders meeting in March was another busy one with wide and varied discussion points. Detailed meeting notes are shared here. The next meeting will be April 19. Attendees Board: Stuart Mackintosh, Makoto Nozaki, Dave Rolsky, Rik Signes Leaders: Daniel Sockwell, Nige Hamilton, Andrew Solomon, Todd Rinaldo, Sawyer X, Alex Beamish Admin: Nic Evans Main session Sponsorship Alex Beamish Can do watermarks for sponsors at the conference Will share

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposals: March 2021 Mon, 05-Apr-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    We received no grant proposals for Perl or Raku in time for the March voting round. The next round of voting will be held starting in early May. But... there's no need to wait until then. We accept grant proposals all year round. To apply, please read How to Write a Proposal, GC Charter, Rules of Operation and Running Grants List will also help you understand how the grant process

    ... read more
  • TPRCIC 2021 - Call for papers Sat, 03-Apr-2021 by Nic Evans

    The Perl and Raku Conference in the Cloud 2021 celebrates all things Perl and Raku from 8-10 June with group meetings on the Monday and Friday each side of the main event. We want to hear from you! We know that there are hundreds of people in our community with great things to share about Perl and Raku, database integration, drones, puppies, and any other topics that may be of

    ... read more
  • Security Issues in Perl IP Address distros Mon, 29-Mar-2021 by Dave Rolsky

    TLDR: Some Perl modules for working with IP addresses and netmasks have bugs with potential security applications. If you are using Net-Netmask, you should upgrade to the latest version. For more details, including on other affected and unaffected distros, please see the post on Dave Rolsky's personal blog.

    ... read more
  • Outreachy 2021 projects published Mon, 29-Mar-2021 by Makoto Nozaki

    I am pleased to announce the following Perl Outreachy internship projects. Outreachy interns have about a month to make contributions and create a final application. Improve the ingredients analysis in Open Food Facts, the Wikipedia of food products Improve the Perl code quality of Open Food Facts These two projects are mentored by Stéphane Gigandet and sponsored by The Perl Foundation. Additionally, Outreachy has one more Perl project sponsored by

    ... read more
  • LibUV Grant: March 2021 Update Fri, 26-Mar-2021 by Moritz Lenz
    in: Grants

    Paul Evans' LibUV grant is starting to wrap up. He writes: I've been doing some CPAN releases now, most recent trying to fix a few MSWin32 bugs. I think we're in the final bits now of just trying to finish the thing off and actually get it working. It seems to be mostly fine on Linux now at least. https://metacpan.org/release/PEVANS/UV-1.905-TRIAL

    ... read more
  • Raku CI Integration Bot Grant - Report March 2021 Fri, 26-Mar-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    It is my pleasure to announce that the Grant Proposal: Raku CI integration bot has been approved, and Patrick has already started work on it. You can read his thoughts on the technical architecture and first progress here. I am looking forward to more great progress from Patrick.

    ... read more
  • Call for Grants: March 2020 Round Tue, 23-Mar-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another round is starting. If you have an idea for doing some work that will benefit the Perl or Raku communities, please consider submitting a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 April 2, 2021, UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback through April 9th, and we

    ... read more
  • February report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Wed, 17-Mar-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    Jonathan writes:

    My grant work in February continued to focus on the new general dispatch mechanism in MoarVM, and especially resumable dispatch, which I mentioned in my last report.

    ... read more
  • RakuAST Grant Report for 2021-02 Tue, 02-Mar-2021 by Moritz Lenz

    Jonathan Worthington writes about his RakuAST progress during February 2021: During February much of my Raku working time was spent on my ongoing dispatcher work. However, I also got back into working on RakuAST. I implemented AST nodes, wrote AST tests, and updated the new RakuAST-based compiler frontend to cover: The given, with, without, and when statement modifiers Anonymous variables The is trait modifier of note, that means inheritance now

    ... read more
  • rt.cpan.org has a new home Fri, 26-Feb-2021 by Ricardo Signes
    in: CPAN

    Last week, we reported that rt.cpan.org would be moving from its old home, and that it would be hosted by Best Practical, the makers of RT. The timeline we gave was "will be done sometime in early March," but fortunately, the process has gone very well and is now just about complete. Within a few hours from now, rt.cpan.org will point to the new instance, where all the old data

    ... read more
  • Outreachy participation - looking for mentors Sat, 20-Feb-2021 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: Outreachy

    Last year The Perl Foundation participated in Outreachy May to August internships and it was successfully completed. We are looking to participate again this year. At this stage we are looking for mentors and project ideas from the Perl and Raku community. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please read the Mentor description and add your ideas at our repo. We plan to close our internal submission process

    ... read more
  • Maintaining Perl 5 (Tony Cook): January 2021 Grant Report Fri, 19-Feb-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible. Approximately 46 tickets were reviewed, and 6 patches were applied 1.88 #17331 research #17331 more research and comment 0.73 #17848 review hvds’ alternative and comment 0.33 #18014 review, research 0.50 #18073 rebase, re-test, bump version, apply to

    ... read more
  • January report of the Raku Development Grant of Jonathan Worthington Fri, 19-Feb-2021 by Matthias Bloch

    Happy to announce that Jonathan was able to resume work on his Raku Development Grant. Here is his report. In January, I at last felt in shape to get back to the new dispatch mechanism. The key remaining piece of the mechanism is dispatch resumption a general term I'm using for a range of situations where we start doing some kind of dispatch, and may continue it later. For example:

    ... read more
  • rt.cpan.org to remain online Fri, 19-Feb-2021 by Ricardo Signes
    in: CPAN

    Since the announcement of the upcoming closure of rt.cpan.org, we've looked at what could, should, or must be done to keep it available in one form or another. After looking at a few options, The Perl Foundation has voted to contract Best Practical to take over the hosting of the CPAN RT instance. Starting immediately, they will be porting the data to their hosting, upgrading the RT instance to the

    ... read more
  • Grants: January 2021 Votes Mon, 15-Feb-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    The Grants Committee has concluded voting on the January 2021 round. Two grant requests were submitted: Grant Proposal: Raku CI integration bot VOTING RESULTS: Approved. 10 YES vote 0 NO votes There was overwhelming support from the Grants Committee for this proposal. We're excited to see work commence on this. Grant Proposal: Maintaining Perl VOTING RESULTS: Approved. 10 YES vote 0 NO votes Tony's work speaks for itself, and we

    ... read more
  • The Perl and Raku Conference in the Cloud 2021 Fri, 12-Feb-2021 by Nic Evans

    It’s official! After the success of last year’s CIC, and owing to the continued pandemic, TPF are holding another virtual event this summer. Save the date: 9-11 June 2021 for TPRC21. Plans are now underway and volunteers are welcome to join discussions. If you would like to take part as a speaker please email us: admin@perlconference.us Call for papers will be coming soon.

    ... read more
  • Grant Proposal: Maintaining Perl Tue, 02-Feb-2021 by Jason A. Crome
    in: Grants

    Name Anthony Cook TonyC on irc.perl.org Synopsis Free up one of the Perl core's contributors to work non-stop on making Perl better. Project Details This grant provides the Perl Steering Committee with a development resource to target as they will, while still providing for more general bug fixes and other improvements to the perl core. Deliverables I propose to follow the same model as my current Perl 5 Core Maintenance

    ... read more
  • TPF Meeting Minutes for December 2020 Sun, 31-Jan-2021 by Makoto Nozaki
    in: Meetings

    TPF Board members and the community leaders meet every month and here are the minutes from the December 2020 meeting. Part 1 Community Attendees Board: Dave Rolsky, Stuart Mackintosh, Ricardo Signes, Curtis Poe, Dan Wright Community leaders: Todd Rinaldo, JJ Merelo, Daniel Sockwell, Jason Crome, Andrew Solomon, Mark Keating, Alex Beamish, Nigel Hamilton Admin: Nic Evans Main session Marketing, Mark Keating Had conversations with Gary Beckwith. He has lots to

    ... read more
<< < > >>
Max results per page:    5    10    20    50    100    200    500