Nicholas Clark's "Improve Perl 5" Grant Completed
Sun, 21-May-2006 by
Curtis "Ovid" Poe
I was going to announce Nicholas Clark's progress on his Improve
Perl 5 when I announced this quarter's grant votes. However, the summary below
(including the TODO information) isn't quite accurate. It was sent to me on May 11th,
and as of a May 20th email to me, I'm informed that even Nicholas' TODO items
have been accomplished, along with documentation of user pragmata. His grant appears to be finished and a great success. Many thanks Nicholas!
- The UTF-8 caching code is merged to 5.8.x
- The constant folding changes are merged to 5.8.x, and have been adapted
to use the "flexible exceptions" system there.
- Merijn and Nicholas have solved the Configure merge.
- Making the lexical pragma implementation fully threadsafe turned out to
be opening a can of worms. It's done now.
- The merge-able parts of the save_re_context code are now merged to
5.8.x. The structure on the save stack are duplicated by the threads clone
- The @INC source filter work has been done, and merged to 5.8.x
- The pack "W" changes have been merged to 5.8.x (but not 'W' itself)
- The code for magic and localisation has been checked, and merged to
- I've audited all the code for UTF-8 and overloaded stringification bugs,
found and fixed quite a few.
- The work on taint, UTF-8 and TK hasn't been started yet.
- The fixes for UTF-8 and overloading haven't been merged to 5.8.x yet.
- The relocatable INC changes have not yet been merged to 5.8.x.
- We're not sure how to handle packlists when everything is relocatable,
or even if a good solution solution exists.