Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report for Month 5 (Feb 2014)
Tue, 18-Mar-2014 by
_Dave Mitchell writes:_
I spent about half my time last month continuing to work on fixing and refactoring the Perl_re_intuit_start() function, which is the main run-time optimisation facility in the regex engine.
My work so far was merged back into blead on 8th February; I've since done some more work which hasn't been pushed yet.
I also fixed a regression in maint-5.18 regarding whether a variable is seen in a regex that has a hash char class and an embedded newline, like
A side-effect of working on that led me to waste about 5 hours trying to get maint-5.18 to pass under clang/address-sanitiser. The failures appeared random, and bisecting showed that they were "fixed" in blead by a commit that should have made no difference; but cherry-picking that commit made the problem go away. It was also sensitive to re-compiles: touch, but don't change perl.h, and recompile, and the problem changed or went away. Eventually I decided it was probably a weird clang issue, and abandoned the effort.
The rest of my time was spent on a few miscellaneous issues, plus ploughing through my p5p mailbox.
bq. 5:10 RT #119125 /[#]/ and codeblocks in maint
35:14 RT#120692 Slow global pattern match with input from utf8
1:37 [perl #121230] process group kill on Win32 broken in 5.17.2
0:46 [perl #121336] valgrind errors in Perl_hv_iternext_flags
5:00 clang/asan weirdness on maint
1:00 fix locale.t spurious warning output
23:39 process p5p mailbox
**72:26 Total (HH::MM)**
bq. 4.0 weeks
72.4 total hours
18.1 average hours per week
As of 2014/02/28: since the beginning of the grant:
bq. 19.7 weeks
335.6 total hours
17.0 average hours per week
There are 64 hours left on the grant.
Thank you for your continuing work in making the Perl core better!