The Community Leaders meeting in March was another busy one with wide and varied discussion points. Detailed meeting notes are shared here. The next meeting will be April 19.
- Board: Stuart Mackintosh, Makoto Nozaki, Dave Rolsky, Rik Signes
- Leaders: Daniel Sockwell, Nige Hamilton, Andrew Solomon, Todd Rinaldo, Sawyer X, Alex Beamish
- Admin: Nic Evans
## Main session
### Sponsorship - Alex Beamish
- Can do watermarks for sponsors at the conference
- Will share the letter shortly - want to update it so it has a link to donate right now - hyperlink
- Suggestion was made to add a 'donate now' button was made
- Apparently going to be virtual Raku conference in Europe in May - what consequences would this have on our sponsorship planning
- There is an idea for feature earmarks for specific improvements to language
- Also challenges of dealing with many European countries - easier when you are in the country both culturally and from language persective
### TPRCiC21 - Todd Rinaldo
- Slight movement of event days
- Converted to Tue-Thu (June 8-10) instead of Wed-Fri
- BOF events will be encouraged Monday and Friday around the event
- CFP coming this weekend
- Panel: we will discuss the format
- BOF - Panels broke barriers - could label alternatively but format worked last time - will plan again. Need time to talk about what people want to talk about
- Need a plan for communication during the conference - Slack? Discourse? Decision to be made - add to agenda a few months from now.
- Next planning meeting March 30 18:00 UTC
### Newcomers survey - Andrew Solomon
- Over 500 responses - some clear ideas on what they want.
- Nic to support final article production and publish on TPF site
- Dave - we need to get more people to apply for grants on particular issues - we need to be more aggressive in promoting grant - blogging
- Sawyer X - I am on grants committee - feel a little more pessimistic - important need to delineate from general end user/use case to work that needs to be done in entire stream to get that done. We need to try to define a very clear project brief - what will be achieved with the grant
- ACTION: Grants committee conversation around micro-grants for analysis to make it easier to attract grantees
### Infrastructure - Rik
Had a call last week
- shut down indexing of cpan mirrors
- been looking at what we should / shouldn't take on
- Looking at hosting
- Big conversation around dromedary
- building a win32 testing machine
- looking at getting something to replace TPF website and blog - hand over to Jason Crome - what to shut down Weebly
- Nige - Raku website - can we share tech with Rik?
- Daniel - still in early stages - not many choices - need DBA established - should coordinate with Perl
### Perl - Sawyer X
- Steering committee meeting regularly - weekly - analysing state of Perl, language and perception
- We've mapped enough of what we care about to manage
- We definitely want to modernise the language - from inside out - want to flesh it out without people having to dig into it.
- Goal we have - to share a doc - allows us to use 7 as a stepping stone to bring people into what will happen in 8 - 7 will not break anything
- Goal is to have limited effect on 8
- Sharing doc with core to have discussion - if they sign off we will send to P5P
### Raku - Daniel Sockwell
- Speed improvements of the language
- Significant progress on new dispatch mechanism and Raku AST - biggest change to Raku compiler
- In broader community a lot of discussion in upgrading documentation website and framework we use for documenting use manuals.
- We have seen a use release a flightcheck module for editors supporting in Emacs for Raku
- Github has added syntax for a file extension
- Raku has a dev room at a Spanish event in June (similar to FOSDEM)
- Governance - we're becoming increasingly well organised and circulating our minutes. In process of trying to do comms work using Raku brand rather than Perl 6
- Now have an official community wide approval for DBA - The Raku Foundation (http://raku.foundation)
- Want to coordinate with infrastructure team https://github.com/tpf/iwg-public
- Formal request made ref DBA
- Raku conference plan http://conf.raku.org. I haven't been involved yet. Am planning to attend the next meeting for conference in cloud and hope to be involved to work things out to ensure both conferences are a success
- Nige: Is it correct there is a community code of conduct
- Daniel: yes plus an incident response guide. Still have some work to do to empower our CAT team. Inspired by TPF code of conduct amongst others. Would like to see code of conduct moved up agenda in terms of importance
- SJM: Needs ownership - would be a good time to review it now. Asked if Nige willing to lead?
- Nige - yes, can work with the CAT team - would like to work with Samantha McVey and Daniel Sockwell
### Legal - Nige
- In US Raku trademark approved - going into opposition period - closes 6 April 2021. Not expecting opposition
- In EU - declined application - say it describes pottery (vs software)
- We need to prove we have a distinctive mark with Raku in relation to software - Nige may need to work with Daniel over coming weeks - need to respond by April 15th or application will fail.
- Need to share evidence that Raku software is 'a thing.
- Cost now involved - 570euros to put reply in 370euros to get evidence together
### Europe - relationship with TPF: sponsorship / conferences - Stuart Mackintosh
- Not clear in Europe the role of TPF, visibility across geographical areas, conferences, sponsorship.
- Challenge of how sponsorship money is spent to do a specific conference - need to think about how we can get offerings right.
- Interested in ideas for something that is sustainable for us and our community.
### Marketing - Nic
- A lot of deficit we have is ref brand and marketing - need marketing to progress
- Nic and Jason to update website
- Jason reviewing web management/ build solutions
- Daniel - we need some more recent videos up on the website
- Nige - a little deflated ref the branding discussions - but very keen to see Perl and Raku flourish - should get an email list together to market to people directly interested in perl.
- SJM - Nige's principles really good - we need to get the marketing and brand conversation going.
- Nige - we may need a consultancy to help
- SJM- yes - we have them there and waiting - just need a brief from the marketing committee
### Perl application - Stuart
- Need people to think about what other areas Perl and Raku are built into
- What have people put Perl to do.
### Grants - Jason
- March Call for Grants opens next week (probably Sunday)
- No other new or old business to discuss