TPF Board Meeting Minutes for July 2020
Thu, 30-Jul-2020 by
TPF Board members meet every month and here are the minutes from the July 2020 meeting.
- Stuart J Mackintosh
- Dan Wright
- Dave Rolsky
- Curtis "Ovid" Poe
- Pete Krawczyk
- Ricardo Signes
- Makoto Nozaki
- Nic Evans (admin)
- Samantha McVey (For the TPRC CAT discussion)
## TPRC CAT debrief
- CAT (Community Afffairs Team) report that the CAT worked very well for TPRC (The Perl and Raku Conference). The process was well defined.
- The training was effective and it helped - the role play created confidence
- Future opportunity: Potentially more defined rules on how talks are selected (check speaker's past violations)
- Stuart gave a very positive feedback to Samantha
- Region diversity (mix of European/American) worked well for the global conference
- Stuart proposed Samantha to take the CAT leadership position (unanimously agreed by the Board). Samantha accepted
### Incident report
- The CAT will publish a transparency report for the conference.
## TPRC 2021
- What are our criteria for determining whether we will do an in-person conference?
- We may not be qualified to set the criteria. We are bound by goverment / professional risk judgement (e.g. CDC)
- Other unknown factors: attendees' willingness to travel, Hilton's business
- We will re-evaluate in December
- Organizers' time has to be considered too - Reach out to the Conference Committee to get an idea of reasonable amount of time to plan an in-person conference (Ricardo)
## The Raku Foundation Proposal
- There was a proposal from the Raku community leaders for Yet Another Society to register 'The Raku Foundation' as an additional DBA (doing business as)
- No disagreement - the board welcomes the development of this proposal
- Q: What does DBA mean legally?
- Org can use that name on a legal docs (such as opening a bank account)
- It's an alias, it's not an organization
- Impact for us to register another DBA should be very minimal
- Stuart to advise Raku community leaders that the board welcomes this proposal and continue the conversation
## Messages and suggestions from the community
- Strongly worded suggestions started coming since TPRC in general
- Website issues
- Dave to make a list of fixes to make. Known issues:
- Contact email (hello@) is not published
- Broken links
- Nic to get requirements from Marketing Committee too
- Place for people to share their thoughts?
- Build Community Outreach team - outside of the board - unanimous
- Nic to start a blog post with Stuart
- Side discussion: volunteer retention and keeping them motivated
- We (need|want) a legal committee
- A set of people who can give a commercial guidance with a legal background
- Stuart updating the committee proposal
## Systems/Infrastrucutre Committee
- Ricardo offering to take the leadership
- Ricardo to write a plan and a charter
- Dave happy to help
## Parrot Fund
- Pete to get the amount of remaining money in the Parrot Fund by next week
- Background: Makoto needs it to close Perl 6 Development Fund
- Proposal to close Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund and Perl 6 Development Fund, then to launch Perl Core Development Fund and Raku Development Fund
- Why not call it "Perl Development Fund"
- Originally the sponsors wanted to separate it from general Perl development
- Raku Fund grant eligibility
- Consult Raku Steering Committee
- Final evaluation responsibility
- Currently it belongs to the President
- Discussion was had to see if it should be the Board or Grants Committee
- Grants Committee has their own fund
- Do Grants Committee want to manage?
- We will continue in the next meeting or email conversation
## TPRC Finance
- Revenue was made from the ticket sales and sponsorship
- Exact finance will be reported by Todd or Pete in the next meeting
Last names on attendees would be very useful; I'm not positive who half the listed attendees are.
(Also, if an admin wants to remove the previous two comments, that's cool.)
Expanding acronyms at their first mention would be helpful
Addressed both. Thanks!