Alien::Base Grant - Report #5
Fri, 27-Jul-2012 by
*Joel Berger wrote:*
After another busy month outside of the Perl world, I have gotten a little more time in the last week to work on [Alien::Base](https://github.com/jberger/Alien-Base). I must especially thank fellow WindyCity.pm member David Mertens for working with me on some of the Mac problems involved.
N.B. I also want to thank him for [PDL::Graphics::Prima](http://p3rl.org/PDL::Graphics::Prima), which made the rest of my $work easier this month! If you need interactive plotting, give it a look! Also Chicagoans, WindyCity.pm is tomorrow, topic: Dancer.
Ok so after much tinkering, I have made enough changes to have the test suite passing on Mac, however, it gives warnings which make me think that while it is "working" in the blib directory, that it won't work once installed. To this end I have been putting together some "real" Alien::Base modules to be released into the ACME:: namespace (if you care, look for ACME::Alien::DontPanic (which consumes Alien::Base) and ACME::Ford::Prefect which depends on it). To make this a more real test case, I have been working to convert my `libdontpanic` shared library to the proper autotools chain. I have spent the day learning about autoconf/automake/libtool etc, and let me say, if you never need to learn this, then consider yourself lucky!
Hopefully these test modules will illuminate the real problems in relocating the .dylib files, and perhaps other non-Mac problems too!
*Original article at [Joel Berger \[blogs.perl.org\]](http://blogs.perl.org/users/joel_berger/2012/07/alienbase-perl-foundation-grant-report-month-5.html).*