Enrique Nell and Joaquin Ferrero reported:
CPAN distribution: http://search.cpan.org/dist/POD2-ES/
Project host: https://github.com/zipf/perldoc-es
If we hadn't lost so much time building a nuclear shelter in the backyard, our final report would have been ready by Christmas time... We still can't believe the Mayan prophecy was wrong!!
This is our last monthly grant report. It also includes a summary of the tasks completed during this 6-month period.
New files added this month
Reported source pod bugs
Status of our v5.16 track (currently v5.16.2):
- Total documents: 169 (109 in core docs)
- Total words: 947,607 (459,773 in core docs)
- % translated: 34.14% (63.61% of core docs)
- % reviewed: 21.35%
In late December, JoaquÃn and Enrique met in Madrid to work on the translation process, and to discuss issues and ways to improve the tools.
Fixed a couple of bugs in the
diff_fileroutine. Changed the input record separator (properly localized) while reading the file to
\n\n, to prevent issues in segments containing line breaks. Also fixed a loop limit that caused missing the last segment.
- We still have a lot pending in our TO DO list, so we will keep informing the community about our progress, most likely through blog posts announced in Perl Weekly.
- Provide an English version of the translation process documentation in our github wiki.
- In our first report we mentioned a couple of bugs related to the lack of internationalization features in podlators: The CPAN page for
POD2::ESdoes not show the description of the translated modules because the POD processor does not find section NAME (it's NOMBRE in Spanish); also, POD links containing references to sections are partially rendered in English: Â«la secciÃ³n "Plataformas compatibles" in
perlportÂ» (for Spanish, "in" should be "en"). We have analyzed this issue and located the modules that should be fixed, but we are not sure of the best way to fix it (we also tried to find ways to fix it on our side). We should contact the authors of these modules and the translation teams of other languages to discuss this and reach an agreement. An easy fix for the second issue that wouldn't require adding any language information would be changing the link processing routines to generate something similar to: Â«la secciÃ³n "Plataformas compatibles" (
perlport)Â», i.e., a language-independent output.
- Compare the output returned by our terminology extraction tool with the results obtained using
Lingua::YaTeA, and explore the possibilities of bilingual extraction provided by
Lingua::NATools. This could be the subject of a future blog post.
- Translate into English the comments/labels in
update_statistics.pl(currently in Spanish).
Summary of Project Tasks Completed During the Grant Period
Files added to the
The translation percentage increased from 42% to 63%, and the revision percentage increased from 3% to 21% (i.e., we ended up a little behind our estimate for revision, and a little ahead for translation).
However, these figures are a bit fuzzy, since new Perl versions are released often (we started our grant work in v5.14.0, and reached v5.16.2), and updating to a new version also changes the total word counts and usually requires more translation/revision work to align already translated files with their new versions.
Improvement/addition of tools
The basic post-processing script was improved and currently checks the POD syntax, generates a WYSIWYG html file for final checks, creates a diff file in html format to give feedback to the translator, keeps track of who translated what to update the translators section included in translated documents, and also sorts alphabetically the translated entries of
We also added scripts to:
- configure git
- get the
.podfiles in a given source distribution to add them to the translation project
- check the setup of
- merge the reviewed segments into the translator's translation memory
- update the statistics in the project tracking spreadsheet
- compared pod versions in source and target folders.
- [rt.cpan.org #78577] [RT #114260]
perlfaq2.podinternal link error
- [perl #114486]
perlvar.pod, line 1337, bad filehandle
- [perl #115458]
perlmodinstall.podMissing closing parenthesis
- [perl #115460]
perlpod.podMissing closing parenthesis
- [rt.cpan.org #80640]
perldocdoes not display function definitions with the same encoding used in
- [rt.cpan.org #80527]
perldoccannot find functions sections when is called with
- [perl #116270]
- [perl #116274]
Talk at the Portuguese Perl Workshop 2012 by Enrique Nell (in Portuguese)