- Name: Gabor Szabo
- Project Title: CPAN::Forum development
- Synopsis: Lots of general improvements of CPAN::Forum.
Lots of general improvements of CPAN::Forum.
Benefits to the Perl Community:
CPAN::Forum has been around for several years now and it is linked from both major search engines but it is under utilized. Improving its interface will make it easier for users to ask questions regarding specific modules.
The whole idea of CPAN::Forum was to provide an alternative to setting up module specific mailing lists so with one registration one can participate in several sub-forums.
Improved tagging and exporting it to the search engines will allow users to find related modules easier than today. Allowing a simple rating of a modules (or integration with CPANRATINGS) along with a trust system will lead to a better way to select the right modules.
- threaded view
- enable marking modules as recommended or favorite
- make markup easier to use
- allow people to edit their posts after submission
- allow module authors to identify themselves for extra administrative bits
- allow people to "trust" a module author and to "trust" the opinion of another user to see which modules are recommended
- Session information: remember logged in user
- One-time notification of module author when the first post arrives to one of her modules.
- Posting a message under more than one distribution
- Exporting all the data (except of the personal information) to be reusable by anyone trying to improve CPAN searching tools.
The code is distributed under the "perl" license as CPAN::Forum. The service is is available at http://www.cpanforum.com/
First the project directory have to be cleaned up. I'll have to add lots of unit-tests and make sure the service runs on mod_perl. It also has to be moved to a new server.
The release mechanism has to be fixed. So the web-site will always run released versions of the code.
The rest is "just a matter of coding".
I plan to begin the project immediately and finish it within 3 months.
Gabor Szabo has been programming Perl since 1995 and teaching it since 2000. He has several modules on CPAN and has contributed to many other modules including ack. Gabor is the primary author and maintainer of CPAN::Forum.
See also http://szabgab.com/ http://www.cpanforum.com/ and http://svn1.hostlocal.com/cpan-forum/trunk/TODO