Recently in Grants Category

Grant Report : Complete YAML::PP - November 2017

No Comments

Tinita, the one-woman YAML ecosystem, continues apace with her grant Complete YAML::PP. Find her latest report on her blog.

She is making headway on some of the cooler features of YAML: flow style, anchors, and special tags. Legit boolean behavior is now implemented in YAML::XS. The blog post provides a nice rundown of the 4 ways to quote in YAML.

Wondering what all the fuss is about? check out Tina's London talk.

Code is at


This is the first report from Zefram on his Perl 5 grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

The hours that I have worked in 2017-11 pursuant to my TPF core
maintenance grant are as follows.

 30h25m  smartmatch
 15h15m  [perl #114932] state(@a) =
 12h08m  review tickets
  9h54m  review mail
  8h26m  [perl #108778] no warnings "module name"
  3h46m  [perl #132158] negative-size-param (size=-7) in
         S_scan_formline (toke.c:11414)
  3h37m  [perl #36078] Newz() used gratuitously
  3h28m  [perl #113716] Deparse and trailing colons
  3h28m  [perl #38920] Filter::Simple error messages getting mangled
         inside require
  3h12m  [perl #132414] eval in package DB can't see caller's lexicals
         in certain cases
  2h58m  [perl #115266] s//$obj/ does not propagated taintedness of
         overloaded object
  2h43m  Devel::Cover BBC from deparsing change
  2h09m  [perl #108288] stat and -T do not set errno consistently
  2h07m  [perl #115258] 4-arg substr does not provide proper lvalue
  2h05m  [perl #126414] perl rounds inode in PP stat
  2h05m  [perl #132150] ... (yada-yada) parsing is inconsistent
  2h02m  [perl #119803] $ISA[0] assignment does not work
  1h47m  [perl #122368] [PATCH] improve docs about mortal in perlguts
  1h37m  [perl #132492] inward goto deprecation has no removal date
  1h33m  [perl #129892] sub calls show as gv(IV \)
  1h19m  test temp filenames
  1h17m  [perl #119635] deprecate and remove qsort?
  1h14m  [perl #115262] PerlIO::encoding produces malformed utf8
  1h13m  [perl #119813] Assertion failure when debugger dies
  1h10m  ExtUtils-ParseXS test noise
  1h07m  [perl #132413] PL_keyword_plugin needs thread-safe wrap
  1h06m  [perl #125827] [PATCH] PathTools, dont require() modules in
         subs likely to be in loops

This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

I didn't do much TPF grant work for the last two months, as I was mainly
working on OP_MULTICONCAT, which was funded by

That's also why there's been a dearth of weekly reports.

The main thing I did was making a few minor enhancements to
See for details.

      0:50 discuss memchr() with Karl.
     10:29 minor enhancements
      3:06 process p5p mailbox
      1:28 review Karl's utf8n_to_uvchr work.
     15:53 TOTAL (HH::MM)

 211.3 weeks
2823.2 total hours
  13.4 average hours per week

As part of the Perl 6 core development fund, Jonathan Worthington has completed another 200 hour block of hours, and his report of what was completed follows the break.

Many thanks to the TPF sponsors of this and other grants. If you're interested in supporting work like this, please donate:

Tony Cook recently requested an extension of his Maintaining the Perl 5 Grant.

I'm pleased to announce that the Board of Directors approved extension of another $20,000. It'll allow him to dedicate another 400 hours to this work.

I would like to thank the community members who took time to comment on this grant extension request and our sponsors who made funding the grant possible through our Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. For the fund status, please also see P5CMF running out of funds.

I also appreciate Tony Cook, who publishes regular progress report on his work.

This is a monthly report by Tony Cook on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

Call For Proposals: November 2017 Round

The Grants Committee has expended its budget for the period ending with 2017.

In accordance with the TPF rules of operation (, grants evaluations are stalled until further notice. I'm expecting that we'll be able to re-open evaluations starting in the January 2018 period.

Thanks to all the TPF sponsors that make the grants process possible. Please consider becoming one and donating at

If you have further questions, please contact me at tpf-grants-secretary at

About TPF

The Perl Foundation - supporting the Perl community since 2000. Find out more at

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Grants category.

Conferences is the previous category.

GSoC is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.


OpenID accepted here Learn more about OpenID
Powered by Movable Type 6.2.2