June 2017 Archives

Jonathan Worthington has requested an extension of $10,000 for his Perl 6 Performance and Reliability Engineering grant. This will allow him to dedicate another 200 hours to this work.

His previous work was successfully delivered as reported in the Latest report.

This funding will come from the Perl 6 Core Development Fund.

Before we make a decision on this extension we would like to have a period of community consultation that will last for seven days. Please leave feedback in the comments or, if you prefer, email your comments to makoto at perlfoundation.org.

Dave Mitchell has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining the Perl 5 Core grant. He also has requested an hourly rate change from $50 to $60. This will allow him to dedicate another 333 hours to this work.

During this grant he sent regular reports to the p5p mailing list as well as providing monthly summary reports that have been published on this site, the most recent of which are linked below:

Before we make a decision on this extension, we would like to have a period of community consultation. Please leave feedback in the comments field below or if you prefer, send email with your comments to makoto at perlfoundation.org.

If successful this extension will be funded from the Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund.

This is a monthly report by Dave Mitchell on his grant under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. We thank the TPF sponsors to make this grant possible.

I spent May mainly:

* heavily reworking perl's internal sprintf implementation.
  I've now pushed a smoking branch containing about 100 commits which
  fixes bugs, audits the code for possible integer overflows, makes the
  code simpler and simpler to understand, and improves performance by
  around 15%.

* Investigating short-string PVs. I've pushed a proof-of-concept branch
  that allows short strings (< 16 bytes) to be stored directly in the
  body of an SV. It also opens up a pathway to improve the COW
  implementation, which I intend to work on at some point.

* helping to write and proofread the perldelta.pod file for the 5.26.0
  release.

SUMMARY:
     96:22 RT #131260 sprintf implementation
      0:58 RT #131296 Time-HiRes/Makefile.PL @INC issue
     18:47 investigate short-string PVs
     16:25 perldelta fixups
      4:34 process p5p mailbox
    ------
    137:06 TOTAL (HH::MM)


 189.4 weeks
2728.9 total hours
  14.4 average hours per week

There are 71 hours left on the grant

The Perl Conference Newsletter

No Comments

In this issue:

  • Sunday Arrival Dinner
  • Tuesday Night Social: Get to know your fellow attendees!
  • Tutorials spaces still available
  • Call for Speakers: Lightning Talks
  • Call for Volunteers

Arrival Dinner - Sunday June 18

Arrangements have been made with Zikrayet Restaurant and Lounge to host a large crowd for The Perl Conference Arrival Dinner.

Given the nature of the place, it will be possible to make this event more of a come and hang out destination than we've been able to have in past years. Just the same we have an official time of 6pm set for the dinner so everyone can have a common plan for arrival.

This is an arrivals dinner but not necessarily the arrivals dinner. It's also a tradition that others who prefer smaller crowds and/or a more vegan-friendly menu organize an Alt Arrival Dinner.

For more information, or to note your intended attendance, please visit: https://github.com/dcbpw/tpc-2017-dc/wiki/Arrivals-Dinner#attendees

For more information on the Alt Arrival Dinner: https://github.com/dcbpw/tpc-2017-dc/wiki/Alt-Arrival-Dinner

Tuesday Night Social This year we are continuing the very successful event established in Orlando last year, instead of the big banquet of years before. We will still be having a social at 6 pm with appetizers and drinks. After a long day of following your favorite track come say hello to friends from far and near over a glass of wine or a pint of beer!

Tutorials There’s still time to sign up! Some tutorials have very limited space, so sign up today! If you’ve already purchased your Conference pass, you can still add tutorials by logging in and making a separate purchase. The available tutorials are:

  • John Anderson - Perl in a Day - Sunday 6/18, $50
  • Dave Rolsky - Introduction to Moose - Sunday 6/18, $150
  • Randal Schwartz - Perl Second Best Practices - Sunday 6/18 (half day), $125
  • Ricardo Signes - Unicode and Associated Punishments - Sunday 6/18 (half day), $100
  • Mark Jason Dominus - Advanced Parsing Techniques - Thursday 6/22, $75
  • Mark Jason Dominus - Higher Order Perl - Thursday 6/22, $75
  • David Golden - MongoDB with Perl - Thursday 6/22, $99
  • Damian Conway - New Perl - Thursday 6/22, $150
  • Damian Conway - Parsing with Perl 6 Regexes and Grammars - Thursday 6/23, $150

Call for Speakers: Lightning Talks

This year there are THREE sessions of lightning talks! Each will have about 10 Lightning Talks of 5 minutes each.

These Lightning Talks may be serious, funny, or both. They may be given by experienced speakers already giving full length talks or by first time speakers just starting out (this is a great way to get started if you have something to say). If you are a first time speaker you will win a tie with an experience speaker when the schedule is made if it comes to it. Today's first time speaker could be tomorrow's keynote speaker.

In addition to the five minute Lightning Talks where you get to use your computer, slides, and any other tool, we will also have some Lightning Advertisements. These are only 30 seconds, you don't have to submit a proposal, you don't get any slides, and the only AV assistance offered is a microphone. If you have a BOF to announce or any other short message you can use the transition time that would be otherwise wasted between Lightning Talks to share your message. Just show up before we start and take a seat in the assigned seats in the front of the room.

Submit your talk here: https://goo.gl/forms/e6cSnnhs0HSVhzNF3.

Call for Volunteers Volunteer Registration Form Here: https://goo.gl/forms/dubrWgPaedd0gH723

Setup / Cleanup Crew On Sunday, we will need volunteers to assist with unboxing materials, placing signs, setting up AV equipment, preparing registration area, and working to make the area aesthetically pleasing. There will be a lot of odd jobs that need to be done.

On Thursday and Friday, we will need to go through everything that is left over, box it, and ship it out.

Room Moderator The Moderator will be assigned a room for the day (only during breakout sessions). Their responsibility is to introduce each speaker prior to their talk. They work with the Videographer to ensure talks do not start until the videography team is ready to record. They also ensure that their room keeps to the schedule, cuing the speaker to end their talk as necessary. They will provide any special announcements between talks as instructed by the organizer staff.

Videographer Each room will have a Videographer, who reports to the Videography Team leader. They are responsible for recording the talks in their assigned room (except where the speaker has opted-out of being recorded).

Assistant Videographer Performs tasks as assigned by the videographer. Acts as a runner if something is needed in the room.

Registration Desk Assists people with checking in. Serves as an information desk attendant. Assists attendees with retail purchases.

As some readers may recall, I mentioned in a previous post that we were evaluating whether to maintain the Community Advocacy Committee. This announcement was enough to move Mark Prather to action. He wrote to me shortly after the blog post went up and asked what he could do to help keep this committee and its mission alive. The answer was become the new committee chair and I'm happy to report that he has accepted.

Please join me in welcoming Mark as the new chair of the Community Advocacy Committee. He has a plan for the year that includes some efforts to help Perl Mongers groups and to reach out to get more input from the broader Perl community. He'll also be looking for new committee members to help out, so if you're interested get in touch with Mark.

Samantha McVey has made progress on her grant to improve the robustness of Unicode support in Rakudo. She is working in the following repos: https://github.com/samcv/UCD, https://github.com/samcv/Unicode-Grant.

Here are a few highlights from her complete blog post.

The script tests the contents of each grapheme individually from the GraphemeClusterBreak.txt file from the Unicode 9.0 test suite.

Previously we only checked the total number of ‘.chars’ each for the string as a whole. Obviously we want something more precise than that, since the test specifies the location of each of the breaks between codepoints. The new code checks that codepoints are put in the correct graphemes in the proper order. In addition we also check the string length as well.

This new test uses a grammar to parse the file and generally is much more robust than the previous script.

  • I have some currently unmerged tests which need to wait to be merged, although sections of it are complete and are being incorporated into the larger Unicode Database Retrofit, reusing this code.

  • I have written grammars and modules to process and provide data on the PropertyValueAliases and PropertyAliases. They will be used for testing that all of the canonical property names and all the property values themselves properly resolve to separate property codes, as well as that they are usable in regex.

  • As part of my grant work I am working on making Unicode property values distinct per property, and also on allowing all canonical Unicode property values to work.

  • I've also started adding some documentation to my Unicode-Grant wiki with information about what is enclosed in each Unicode data files; there are a few other pages as well. This wiki is planned to be expanded to have many more sections than it does currently."

MAJ

Zoffix Znet provided this report on May 29, 2017

The Grants Committee will vote on its completion and payment. If you have feedback or questions, please comment here

COMPLETION Report / Perl 6 IO TPF Grant

This document is the May, 2017 progress report for TPF Standardization, Test Coverage, and Documentation of Perl 6 I/O Routines grant. I believe I reasonably satisfied the goals of the grant and consider it completed. This is the final report and may reference some of the work/commits previously mentioned in monthly reports.

TPF Board has received a new grant application under Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund.

Before we vote on this proposal, we would like to get feedback from the Perl community. Please leave feedback in the comments or, if you prefer, email your comments to makoto at perlfoundation.org.

IRC nickname: Zefram

project title: Zefram maintaining the Perl 5 core

synopsis

I'd like a grant to work on the Perl 5 core, concentrating on tricky and obscure issues of the core internals. The grant would extend to the full range of a core committer's activities, along the lines of my past work on the core. The grant would allow me to put much more time into the Perl 5 core than I have been able to recently.

benefits to Perl 5 core maintenance

this grant would overcome the present limitation on the amount of time I can devote to Perl, namely my need for an income. The core would benefit from the increased application of my rare knowledge and skills, including my deep understanding of much of the core internals. It would especially benefit through the fixing of troublesome bugs, and more generally through the addressing of issues that require in-depth familiarity with the internals.

deliverable elements

Like the similar grants for Dave Mitchell, Nicholas Clark, and Tony Cook, I do not propose specific technical deliverables for this project. The details of what work I tackle would be led by the exigencies of bug reports and the direction of discussions among core developers (on the public mailing list, the IRC channel, and at times on the closed security report mailing list). The main deliverable, then, is time spent on core maintenance work, at a rate of USD 50 per hour.

Secondary deliverables are the required reports, weekly to p5p and monthly to TPF. These will list the issues worked on. The grant manager representing p5p can see how this relates to my code commits and mailing list activity, providing an opportunity to raise any concerns.

project details

This project covers the full range of core maintenance activity that I have performed in the past. Within this mix, I would favour activity of which the fewest people are capable: work that takes advantage of my particular knowledge of core internals and my particular abilities. In general, the highest priority work would be the diagnosis and resolution of bugs that appear to involve obscure internals. (Note that diagnosis can radically change the appearance of a bug in this respect.)

Activities covered by this grant would include, but are not limited to:

  • diagnosing reported bugs
  • fixing bugs, whether reported or not
  • discussing core issues on the p5p mailing list
  • writing and improving documentation
  • code refactoring
  • release engineering
  • implementation of new core features, where approved through discussion

Specifically excluded from this project scope is work on unapproved new features, because of the risk of (perception of) abuse. I do not seek a license to arbitrarily perform major speculative work on TPF's dime. But where a new feature has been discussed prior to implementation, and there is the appropriate consensus that it should be implemented, then the endeavour is no longer an individual's speculation, and that implementation work can fall within the scope of this project. Looking back at features I have added in the past, I developed call-checker and parser plugins without discussion, so they would not have been in scope for this type of grant. Subroutine signatures, on the other hand, I developed in response to a fairly detailed consensus reached on the IRC channel, and with the pumpking's specific blessing, so that would have been in scope.

project schedule

This project covers 400 hours of deliverable work, which I anticipate delivering at a rate averaging somewhere between 20 and 30 hours per week, thus taking somewhere between three and five months. I am not committing to any steady rate of work; extensive variance of time worked from week to week is to be expected. I can start as soon as approved.

If the arrangement of this grant turns out to be satisfactory, I would likely seek an extension of it on similar terms.

biography

I'm a freelance computer programmer. I have been using Perl since the year 2000, and C since 1990. I've been contributing to CPAN since 2004, now having 76 distributions there, many of them XS language extensions. I've been contributing code to the Perl 5 core since 2007. My core development work has included diagnosis and fixing of daunting bugs, design and implementation of new subsystems (such as parser plugins and subroutine signatures), and much discourse on the mailing list.

endorsed by: Sawyer X, Matthew Horsfall, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsaker

amount requested: USD 20_000

suggestions for grant manager: Sawyer X has agreed to serve as manager.

TPF Board has received a new grant application as below.

Before we vote on this proposal, we would like to get feedback from the Perl community. Please leave feedback in the comments or, if you prefer, email your comments to makoto at perlfoundation.org.

Perl 6 Travel Grant

  • Name: brian d foy
  • Amount Requested: $2,500

Synopsis

I'm passing through Europe in June and can extend my trip on either side to visit Perl mongers groups. I'm applying for a travel grant to prepare and present Perl 6 talks to Amsterdam.pm and London.pm. I'm also trying to arrange a talk with Paris.pm. I'll also give these talks to NY.pm.

Benefits to the Perl Community

Presentations allow me to test material for the book, get people excited about the langauge, give Perl 6 some buzz, and provide feedback to the Perl 6 core team about rough spots in the language.

Deliverables

  • Present to Amsterdam.pm on June 8
  • Present to London.pm on June 29
  • Post slides to Slideshare
  • Write articles based on talks for Perltricks.com
  • Present same talks to NY.pm on later dates
  • Various social media promotions

Bio

I'm brian d foy, the author or co-author of many of the existing Perl 5 books from O'Reilly Media, including Learning Perl, (Editions 4 to 7), Intermediate Perl (Editions 1 and 2), Mastering Perl (Editions 1 and 2), and Programming Perl (4th Edition). I'm working on Learning Perl 6. I've given well-received talks all over the world,

About TPF

The Perl Foundation - supporting the Perl community since 2000. Find out more at www.perlfoundation.org.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from June 2017 listed from newest to oldest.

May 2017 is the previous archive.

July 2017 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

OpenID accepted here Learn more about OpenID
Powered by Movable Type 6.2.2