Jonathan Leto wrote:
Really TLDR: The Parrot has landed.
It brings me great joy to announce that I have completed all milestones for my TPF grant regarding the Parrot Embed/Extend subsystems! Not only that, but all of my grant work was included in the most recent release of Parrot, 3.5.0 "Menelaus".
The actual TLDR of this update is "many tests were written, code coverage is above 95% for all systems described in the grant, docs were improved, many Parrot Trac tickets were created and many a blarg toast was cooked.
For those of you that have a thirst for knowledge unquenched (I know who you are), you are welcome to pondiferously peruse the Impending Technical Details.
The last portion of this grant definitely challenged me to think in new ways about testing and I am now only beginning to reap the benefits. I was charged with adding code coverage a few rarely-if-ever-used C functions in Parrot's embed/extend subsystem, which allows you embed Parrot into other applications and other funky stuff.
Whiteknight++ greatly helped me write a test for Parrot_sub_new_from_c_func which takes a C function and a string that describes the function signature of the C function and returns a NCI PMC, which can be invoked.
I also learned many lessons about code coverage during the final stage of this grant, even though I thought I was at such a level of expertness that it would be hard to learn drastically new and important perspectives on testing. This pattern of thinking is always wrong.
Sometimes you are the underdog and you have to interpret the rules in a new way in order to have a chance at winning. You need to be Ender Wiggins from Ender's Game: continually inventing new tactics to keep a winning edge over the competition.
I noticed that a large portion (about 80%) of the uncovered code in one file was a macro that was copy-and-pasted into two places. I refactored this into a single macro called POP_CONTEXT, which reduced the total number of lines in the file by roughly 10, while simultaneously decreased the number of uncovered lines in the file by ~20 lines, which had a combined effect of pushing the code coverage over the necessary 95% mark.
This change definitely increases the maintainability and modularity of the code, but it feels a bit like gaming the system. Nonetheless, it saved the day.
The simplest useful test that you are avoiding is the most valuable next test to write, because it has the best ROI (Return on Investment, where investment is the time it takes to write the test, and the return is having an automated way of verifying that the feature works.
Software developers are very optimistic about time estimates. We forget about all the possible things that could go wrong and often quote estimates on something approaching "base case scenario". As a rule of thumb, I think all software developers should think long and hard about a time estimate for a given project, write down the estimate, then multiply that time estimate by pi for a REAL estimate.
I theorize that pi is the factor of time it takes to debug and write tests for behavior of hard-to-recreate edge cases.
I originally thought my grant would take about 3 months, but it ended up taking about 9 or ten. QED.
Finally, I would like to thank my grant manager Makoto Nozaki for providing lots of feedback, support and encouragement, as well as everyone else at the The Perl Foundation for funding this grant.
Original article at dukeleto.pl . I (Makoto) am also pleased to announce that the TPF Grant Committee agreed with the successful completion of this grant.