No updates this time.
No updates this time.
Grant closed due to grantee lack of feedback.
At the Birmingham QA Hackathon, between answering random questions and having random TAP discussions, my focus was on working on Test::Builder2.
While I was explaining the blocking issues to going forward to AndyA he observed that I know what to do and really it's all a simple matter of programming and I should really stop griping and just code it up. So I did.
Fortunately I got help in the form of Birmingham local Colin Newell who picked up git, forked repository management and the proposed TB2 result/output architecture from my vague wiki notes and hurried explanations. Then he was off and working mostly independently, committing excellent code. Towards the end I was consulting him for architectural issues. :)
As an aside, one of the things I enjoy about git's merge process is it doesn't flatten or alter the changes. So if you look at the TB2 branch Colin's name is retained on Colin's work which is quite nice. http://github.com/schwern/test-more/commits/Test-Builder2
Anyhow, Colin sums up the work quite nicely. http://colinnewell.wordpress.com/2009/03/31/perl-qa-hackathon-testbuilder2/
Now there should be enough of the Result/Output code in place to allow folks to do some independent work. The output classes in particular are a missing a lot of key features. There's no way to tell an Output about a comment. Results don't include any of the usual free diagnostics (file, line, name, etc..) and Output::TAP doesn't do anything with the right now anyway.
From a top-down approach, one might want to attempt implementing more of Test::Simple or even making Test::Builder use the TB2::History object to store results.
And then all this reveals more architectural issues which I'll get into in a later post.
I've moved my project from google code to github. You can find it at github now. On the programming side I've added support for matching regular expressions. I wanted to have substitutions too before this report but that will have to wait for the next one. Soon I'll have full regular expression support in libperl++ :-).
Also I've been having some valuable feedback on the Dutch Perl Workshop. In particular I'm probably going to split my string class in a byte string and a Unicode string variant. That way string operations will be a lot more sane from the C++ point of view. Also, I've just uploaded the presentation I gave (PPT). Sadly, the video doesn't seem to be available yet.
I'm just inches away from declaring the grant done.
Last week, I released new versions of Class::MOP and Moose which feature (mostly) complete API docs. I say mostly because some things are intentionally being left undocumented for now. These are methods with public names (no leading underscore) that I think should be made private, or in a few cases entire classes with really weird APIs that need some rethinking. I think the API docs are done enough to satisfy the grant requirements.
Some of this rethinking has already happened, and doing this doc work let to some refactoring and deprecations, with hopefully more to come.
In the area of Moose Cookbook recipes, I'm one recipe away from done-ness. New recipes cover custom meta-instance and meta-method classes. Back in mid-February I released recipes for using BUILD and BUILDARGS, and applying roles to an object instance.
I expect to have the last recipe finished sometime by mid-April.
We're somewhat stalled right now due to schedule conflicts and prior engagements but I'll be setting-up a local site in the next week and we should have something publicly visible by the end of this month.
No updates, as grant manager was ill.